Process and Diagnostic CD

hallgreen 10:29 19 Jan 2008

Hello

My computer freezes randomly and I have had much helpful advice on this forum but it still does it (and to no real pattern). Sometimes within 2 mins and the won't re-start for 30 tries. Other times after 2 hours.

Two questions;
Could soemone explain the "process" box on the Crt Alt Delete. I've been told that if something is more than 15,000K it may be the problem. I have a few of those but I can't tell if they are vital or not.

Secondly is there any sort of diagnostic CD I can buy that will tell me the problem as I don't have the time (or more importantly the ability!) to try and find out what is wrong

Thanks

MAJ 10:34 19 Jan 2008

"Could soemone explain the "process" box on the Crt Alt Delete. I've been told that if something is more than 15,000K it may be the problem. I have a few of those but I can't tell if they are vital or not."

Which processes are they?

hallgreen 10:38 19 Jan 2008

Various including

Khost.exe, CCapp.exe, ccsetmgr.exe, msimn.exe etc

Thanks

SANTOS7 10:44 19 Jan 2008

Khost.exe i think is related to SKY B/B

click here

msimn.exe is outlook express

ccsetmgr.exe is symantec

CCapp.exe is symantec

the only one i would look into is the Khost.exe i think you could well do without this...

MAJ 10:46 19 Jan 2008

They are all valid applications, hallgreen, but they don't need to run at startup. Do you use Sky as your ISP (Khost) and Norton antivirus (CCapp.exe, ccsetmgr.exe)? msimn.exe is Outlook Express.

hallgreen 10:48 19 Jan 2008

Thanks No I'm Bt Broadband. Does that mean there is some way I can delete it to see if it stops (or reduces) the blessed freezing.

Thanks

Simsy 10:49 19 Jan 2008

click here

It's quicte helpful. It's a small app that looks at what process are running then looks up it's own database and tells you what each thing does.

Regards,

Simsy

SANTOS7 10:52 19 Jan 2008

click here

this will help...

SANTOS7 10:54 19 Jan 2008

I have bookmarked my link as i am moving to SKy B/B
in a few days so it may come in handy...

hallgreen 13:20 19 Jan 2008

Thanks for all the info

I wonder if there is such a thing as a "magic" diagnostic CD to tell me what is wrong or is that pie in the sky!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?