Probs installing video card drivers

kimjhon 18:28 20 Dec 2005

Hi

98SE , nvidia geforce FX5200

I removed the above display adapter in device manager when the display went pot after coming out of DOS mode.

On reboot Windows recognises the new hardware and proceeds to load the drivers for it without prompting. It looks in the CD drive and loads the drivers even though there is no CD in the drive.

Then it asks if I want to restart. If i do so Windows wont start and I have to remove the card again in safe mode.

If I hit 'no I dont want to restart', Windows carries on using its own drivers - 256 colours 640 mode.( which is what i'm in now)

If I now try to remove the card in Device Manager the PC freezes.

I can restart and get these settings. But if I load the drivers into Windows from the autorun Driver CD it restarts with a variety of dramatic display faults.

Does anyone know how to break this cycle, please.

Skyver 18:34 20 Dec 2005

Get the latest drivers here click here
Load in safe mode, remove the old drivers if needed, and the device in device manager (fingers crossed it doesn't freeze, if it does leave it alone), restart and see if it allows you to get into Windows to extract and run the NVidia drivers. Make sure your anti-virus software is disabled during installation.

Skills 18:35 20 Dec 2005

You should find an entry for the nvidia display drivers in the add/ remove programs uninstall the drivers from there and reboot then try reinstalling the drivers from disk.

kimjhon 20:47 20 Dec 2005

Bingo ! Updated drivers d/loaded and installed in safe mode. They were only about 9 months old. Must be a Windows update messing things up - maybe.

Had to overwrite the old ones because there was no entry in Add/remove.
I had thought Windows removed the drivers when you removed hardware??? So I tried installing new drivers after removing the card in Device manager. But the Nvidia d/l wont write them unless it finds the hardware.

Had thought of copying the drivers off the CD into Windows/System. Good job I didn't try that. Because Nvidia has put them in its own folder at the root of C.

Second thoughts !!! Should not I be doing the update procedure in Device manager and showing windows the Nvidia folder?
Anyway, something has worked. I will leave well alone. My brain feels like the old display looked

Big thank you to Skyver and Skills for your pointers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?