Problemswith sfc /scannow etc - young relatives PC

john bunyan 09:01 23 May 2015
Answered

I am trying to clear up some issues with a young relative's laptop. I suspect various Facebook and other unwise downloads have caused issues. By scanning with ADWCleaner, Malawarebytes, Avast etc I have cleaned the obvious ones. Three unsolved problems: a minor one that I still cannot get the battery power icon to show in spite of downloading registry fixes etc. Secondly Windows updates will not install. I have tried many ways to solve this, including deleting files in the relevant areas , stopping services whilst doing so, ensuring the correct services are running, downloading and applying the MS Fixit tools, all to no avail. Finally, and maybe a clue, although Chkdsk /r is clean, running sfc /scannow as administrator in normal and safe mode sows the result: Windows resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

This is a 5 year old Toshiba satellite with Windows Home Premium. OEM but rescue partition not available = W7 Home Premium 64 bit. System restore not an option as so many attempts to update have created too many recent restore points. May have to face a reinstall? If so a pain . Can I obtain an installation (sp1) disc with most updates? Last time I did this there were hundreds of updates.(On another PC)

john bunyan 10:04 23 May 2015

PS have tried many suggestions via Google / You tube. A particular issue on Updates is with MS 0x80071A91 where I have tried many "solutions" offered, auto and manual.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:21 23 May 2015
  lotvic 18:10 23 May 2015

You can d/l an untouched/unaltered MS W7 iso from getintopc click here I believe it has SP1 on (as per in comments), if you do a clean install you'll have to use the product key from bottom of laptop to activate.

john bunyan 18:30 23 May 2015

lotvic

I think I will have to take that option as there is clearly some registry corruptions. I can hopefully find the product key (missing) using "Produkey" as mentioned in PCA as it is rubbed off the PC. Alternatively a local "expert" may be the route to take. I have tried so many alternatives that a clean install seems the only solution. Not sure what to do about a couple of downloaded licences , such as Malawarebytes Premium with a lifetime licence. Also does one somehow "tell" MS that one is formatting so that the Office Home and Student Office suite will reinstall(one of 3 licences), also for Photoshop Elements - does it "know" that one is reinstalling? Luckily all data is on a separate partition.

lotvic 18:57 23 May 2015

You won't be able to use the current W7 product key as it will be the factory pre-activated one and that doesn't work for a clean install. However you can use the W7.iso to burn an install DVD and then you can use that to repair files on the existing install.

lotvic 18:59 23 May 2015

Sorry, I meant to word that differently:

You won't be able to use the current W7 product key if it is the factory pre-activated one...etc

john bunyan 19:14 23 May 2015

Thanks; I will try it - I assume another way is to "borrow" a W 7 Home Premium SP1 and use it by tapping F8 and selecting Repair install?

john bunyan 19:22 23 May 2015

I may buy a W7 Home premium Sp1 for about £60 for a clean install...

rdave13 19:48 23 May 2015

Try a repair first. Not guaranteed but sometimes works. No restore partition or disks burnt then?

Takes longer restoring to factory settings but there's a stand alone Service pack for win 7 here.

john bunyan 21:22 29 May 2015
Answer

In the end the problem was solved with a clean install of Windows 7 Home premium. Past restore points and images were compromised, Took ages to re install other programmes but worth it - all issues solved,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone