Problems with Word 2007 and docx files

Martin Findlow 19:27 05 Jan 2015

I have Word 2007 on my computer which until recently has worked fine. In December I bought an image from an online company which I am using for a letter head. Unfortunately and for no apparent reason, all my Word 2007 documents have now turned into docx documents. When I try to open them up they don't read correctly and are full of none descript information. Somebody has suggested Microsoft compatibility software. Can any suggest how to resolve this problem. Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:42 05 Jan 2015
  lotvic 20:24 05 Jan 2015

.docx is the correct file extension for Word 2007

.doc is for previous versions of Word.

It would seem that your .docx files are corrupted in some way.

AroundAgain 20:28 05 Jan 2015

I was of the understanding that Word 2007 used docx so I'm confused as to why the compatibility download would help.

I would be interested for this to be explained so I can understand why this should help, please?

Ah, unless Martin, you kept your documents as doc files rather than docx? What happens if you open one of these docx with non-descript stuff and then Save As doc (Word 97/2003)? That would be interesting to learn the result of that.

wee eddie 21:05 05 Jan 2015

Martin: I also believe that Word 2007 uses .docx.

If you open a .doc file > Select "Save as" > If I remember rightly .docx is the Top Option > Select it and all will resolve itself.

Also the File will reduce in size by about 20%

lotvic 13:05 06 Jan 2015

It's probably caused by the global Normal.dotm template becoming corrupt.

If so, the fix is to delete the Normal.dotm (do not have Word program open, use Windows Explorer to navigate to Normal.dotm) and then when Word is next opened it will re-create a new uncorrupted version.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?