problems with wireless router

graham-1178453 19:04 01 Sep 2007

have recently got talktalk international 3 with echolife 520 router had a wireless connectin but was unsecured so had brother in law over 2 make the connection secure which we have now accomplished. the problem i am now having is i cant go wireless my brother in law has configured laptop and router but dosent no y we cant go wireless as hes not used vista before and i am new to computers and havent much of a clue as to what im doing PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP

Dipso 22:17 01 Sep 2007

If your b-i-l has secured the wireless is it not just a case of entering the wireless security key into the Vista PC?

Can you see the wireless connection via the Vista PC? If you click connect you should be asked for the key, enter this and you should be able to connect to the network.

graham-1178453 07:43 02 Sep 2007

when i take cable out and try 2 connect via wifi it comes up with a message unable 2 connect click here 2 diagnose problem when clicked it gives these answers,low signal strength,ssid not broadcasting,router off. route is nxt to computer so cant b low strength,ssid is broadcasting and router is on. It dosent ask 4 the wireless security key as sugested, any further sugestions much appreciated

Jim_F 10:51 02 Sep 2007

By coincidence I've just done the same exercise myself as my Vista laptop would not connect to my existing wireless setup.

You need the following info from the wireless router - the SSID and active key - I needed to use the hex version something like 5e 67 7d 60 e6 for 64 bit encryption, twice the number of entries for 128 bir.

Then under Network and Sharing go to Manage Wireless Networks and manually add your network using the SSID - then it should try and connect and ask for the key. I couldn't get it to work if the network was set up as 'hidden' - nothing to do with Vista as I had it working on other machines so this looks like it was down to the wireless card on the laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone