Problems with Wireless Printer

SueK 12:19 27 May 2008

I am having problems connecting my wireless printer (Lexmark X4550) to my Dell Vostron 1500 laptop. I am running Vista. I have been able to connect it to my husband (XP) and daughter's (Vista) laptop, but it won't print from mine. I have done everything the same as the other two connections. I think it is the printer port. It does not recognise the same port as the other two laptops. Help!

brundle 15:05 27 May 2008

Are you running the installer as administrator?
Have any other printers been set up on your laptop?

SueK 15:07 27 May 2008

There are no other printers linked to this laptop. I don't know if I am installing as an administrator. I just put the disc in and following the on screen instructions. I did the same on my daughters and it worked.

brundle 15:53 27 May 2008

Vista seems to have unique problems on every system it appears...

OK, put the CD in, hold the Shift key down to stop it auto-running. Now right click the CD in Computer to explore it. Look for a file called Autorun.exe or Setup.exe (they may not have the extension if you don't have that option enabled). Right click the file and select Run As Administrator.

SueK 15:58 27 May 2008

Thanks, just at work at the moment. Will try when I get home and let you know how I get on. Thanks for your help. I wasted my bank holiday yesterday installing and uninstalling!

SueK 20:04 27 May 2008

Tried this but it still doesn't work. I am sure it is the port, it doesn't have the option that the other two laptops are clicked on.

brundle 22:48 27 May 2008

Which port shows up on the other machines? Is it a USB one or a port related to the wireless connection?

SueK 09:36 28 May 2008

Its a port relating to the wireless printer. My computer is using a usb port (says something like Virtual USB port for.....)

brundle 17:56 28 May 2008

Are these drivers more up to date than the ones on the CD?

click here=

What version of Vista on the two laptops - are they the same?

SueK 20:28 28 May 2008

How do I check the drivers that were on the cd? Husband laptop has xp, daughters has vista premium and mine is vista basic

brundle 21:46 28 May 2008

On the XP machine, download this click here, run it, click on Devices, click on Printers, select the Lexmark, it ought show the version number of the driver.

I can't say for sure if that software will work on Vista but you can try it (it's a bit out of date)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone