problems with windows 98!HELP!

jesta 13:53 12 Feb 2005

on one of my computers running windows98 2nd edition, the problem is that i cannot access any of the programs in control panel,(i.e. add/remove programs),ive been tld that if i insert a windows98 cd i can re-install the function but i only have the 1st edition so what should i do?please help

grey george 14:41 12 Feb 2005

Are you saying that the contol panel opens but clicking on any of the buttons does nothing, or that the contol panel will not open?
If you type "control" in the run box this will open the contol panel if it's working.
By searching for "*.exe" files you can run the applications with out opening the panel. Make sure you know which programme it is that you are running.
Have you tried running "sfc" system file checker. This would tell you if any files are corrupt.
Could this be a virus? Are you running any protection programmes?

jesta 14:46 12 Feb 2005

ok,i will try and do that later,i am running norton anti-virus2004.ive suspicision that it could be a virus since i cannot open norton anti-virus and some icons on the taskbar does not work.does this symptons sound ike a virus?

grey george 14:55 12 Feb 2005

Yes this does sound very much like a virus.
I know I have seen these symptons mentioned before but I cannot remember which virus it was.
Try a Google search or visit Norton's web site.
You may need to use anouther pc to visit Norton if this is the bug I am thinking of.

jesta 14:59 12 Feb 2005

oh right,so it could be a virus.i have a ghost image of the computer when first installed windows98,i am thinking of restoring that image but i do not have the ghost disc or a floppy drive.what can i do?thanks fo your help so far

curlylad 15:00 12 Feb 2005

Try booting into safe mode and then update your AV and run a full system scan.

jesta 15:29 12 Feb 2005

ok i will try that,but if it has to come to restoring the ghost image how do i do that without using a start up floppy or norton ghost disc(i do not have it)

grey george 15:55 12 Feb 2005

jesta
Where is the ghost image? It should be on another drive or cd/dvd.
If the image is on a cd/dvd it should contain the file "ghost.exe" which is all you need to restore the image.
Is ghost still installed on the machine? If so use it to create the boot discs.

jesta 16:12 12 Feb 2005

i have the ghost image in one of my partitioned drive.do in just use command prompt by pressing f8 during boot up?

grey george 16:50 12 Feb 2005

Not sure what you are asking. If you look in this partition is there a file named "ghost.exe"?
I think you must have this file to restore the image. What type of icon does the image file have?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?