Problems updating graphics drivers

Pesala 17:26 06 Jul 2004

I downloaded what I think is the latest driver for my S3 ProSavage KM133 onboard graphics. I extracted the zip file and ran the setup.exe. An error message told me that no S3 adapter was detected.

I then tried update driver from Control Panel, System, Device Manager, Display Adapters, S3 ProSavage KL/KM and browsed to the directory containing the *.inf file. I clicked OK and got the message, "Windows was unable to locate an updated driver for this device." Does that mean I already have the latest driver installed or am I doing something wrong?

The archive extracted to the following folders:

WIN98/ME\
-- RAW

-- Setup

----Setup\Setupdir\ with many subdirectories

The file KPLEW9X.INF is in the RAW directory which is the one I browsed to, to locate the driver.

Where do I go from here?

georgemac 18:04 06 Jul 2004

go to device manager and look at the graphics adaptor and see what type is shown, and also the driver version, should be able to see this by clicking on properties and the driver tab if my memory serves me correctly.

georgemac 18:09 06 Jul 2004

click here and download the graphics chip identifier. I remembered that s3 had went defunct and it could be a bit of a job finding drivers - where did you get the driver from? have you tried the motherboard manufacturer?

did the setup file create the directory you mentioned above cause it looks funny, I do not know if the driver for 98 and me would be the same, and this should be a temporary setup directory.

Pesala 18:41 06 Jul 2004

Found what looks like a more recent driver from click here downloading now. Did the chipset ID test with Wins3id.exe

Pesala 18:56 06 Jul 2004

Windows was unable to find an updated driver, but by selecting "install one of the other drivers" I was able to select a more recent driver. That is now installed and Windows is still working. Let's hope it solves the problem that sent me searching for the new driver.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?