Problems with Tiscali charges

denim 18:16 25 Feb 2005

Until October 2004 I had been using Tiscali's day-time prepaid access via dialup. Then to my horror I discovered that somehow for the previous three months I had been charged for pay-as-you-go as well as the £4.99 a month for day-time access. Somehow the number dialled had been changed without my knowledge. I have had to pay nearly £300 in addition to the three months' dialup fees. A letter to Tiscali produced a polite but firm brush-off - not their responsibility. I initiated a complaint with Otelo, but had had no reply.
Anyone else had anything similar? Any comments or suggestions?

cycoze 18:22 25 Feb 2005

Sounds like you may have been hit by a dodgy dialer, would suggest that check your dialup settings to see if any have been added they wont always show and you should download some tools to scan for this.

no doubt someone else will post a list of tools for you while i go and look for the URL`s of the sites.

Diodorus Siculus 18:31 25 Feb 2005

Do you have an itemised phone bill? It could be that you used the wrong number to dial up with - the PAYG number rather than the free one.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:42 25 Feb 2005

click here It is not really Tiscali's fault and you can block premium rate numbers for £1.75 a month.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:45 25 Feb 2005

click here I suggestn that you download and run this tool from MS. If you do not have XP then download and run Adaware from click here I would do one or the other pretty quick and I would also remove your modem line from the phone socket. This cannot happen on Broadband.

G

cycoze 18:46 25 Feb 2005

Yes it could just be an error on your behalf or Tiscali`s, but just incase the bill disagree`s with that , recommend that you download install update and run the following if you havent already got them.

Spybot click here .

Afaware free click here .

a² Free click here .

Dialer Control click here its a german site i have linked the translated page , if you download it , it installs with the option of English, this will give you the option to select what program using what number can dial out and block any others , suggest you check up with Tiscali what the correct number is.

denim 19:03 25 Feb 2005

I have since had my computer completely overhauled, and am now on broadband.

It seems to me that the only one to benefit from this was Tiscali, not any third party and certainly not me. I know that nobody here changed the dial up number - there's just me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?