Problems with system restore and search index

Florio 19:10 07 Mar 2008

I have two problems which seem to have surfaced at around the same time (I'm not sure if they're related though). They don't appear to be affecting the normal functioning of my laptop, but I 'd like to know why they have occurred and how to fix them. I have Vista Home Premium as my OS.
Firstly I can no longer carry out system restore. I've tried running both chkdsk/r and sfc/scannow to see what the problem is; the first program didn't reveal anything, while the sfc scan found several corrupt files - it referred me to the CBS.log, but examination of this particular log has left me no wiser as to the identity of the damaged files).
Secondly, the Windows search indexing function has inexplicably been disabled and there seems to be no way of reactivating it; every time I turn on the computer, a message comes up to remind me.
I'm hoping that someone reading this can give me some advice.
Florio

BurrWalnut 19:20 07 Mar 2008

SFC appends its results to a log file named CBS.log, which is located in the \Windows\Logs\CBS folder.

Use Notepad to read it (you may need to run Notepad as the Administrator). If there are errors, use ‘Find’ (Ctrl + F) to check for the words 'cannot repair'.

Write down the names of the corrupted files and go here click here which shows how to copy from the Vista DVD any system files that SFC could not repair.

Technotiger 19:27 07 Mar 2008

Although Indexing is meant to speed things up when Searching, I personally think it is a waste of time - no pun intended. I have indexing turned off as I find it actually slows down boot-up.

Florio 19:39 07 Mar 2008

Thanks guys.
I've already done as you say, BurrWalnut, but the words 'cannot repair' are not to be found anywhere in the CBS.log!! (my version of Windows is actually in Italian, but the CBS.log is nonetheless in English).
As for the Indexing, I realise that I don't really need it. But I'd still like to know why it has suddenly been disactivated and, in any case, I'd like to be able to choose whether to turn it off or not!!
Florio

BurrWalnut 19:47 07 Mar 2008

You could try a Vista startup repair. This can repair a lot of problems click here

Technotiger 19:48 07 Mar 2008

You may find this information useful click here

Florio 21:13 07 Mar 2008

Thanks very much Technotiger. Got the Indexing up and working again.
I did actually try a setup repair (from the hidden partition as I don't have an express or retail installation dvd), but it made no difference. I expect that the majority of system restore files are not part of the initial Vista startup.

Technotiger 21:21 07 Mar 2008

As regards System Restore, just a thought, but have you plenty of spare hard-drive space for it to run properly? Dunno if I may be barking up the wrong tree, but does not System Restore need to have been running for a while before any Restore Points are automatically set, so therefore these could not be part of the Initial Vista start-up. If that makes any sense.

Or is it too near my bed-time, LoL.

Florio 22:29 07 Mar 2008

I've got plenty of hard-drive space, so I don't think this is the problem.
I've been thinking, however, that these problems all began a few days ago when I changed antivirus program, and the first scan with the new program detected 4 Trojans. One of these (now in quarantine) was a Windows driver (C:Windows\System32\Interop.Shell32.dll) . Could the fact that the file is still in quarantine have something to do with system restore problems?

Technotiger 22:36 07 Mar 2008

Did you run the anti-virus with System Restore disabled? Anything in quarantine should not affect the PC, but you may find more info about Interop among this lot click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?