Problems with Spyware Doctor

Habsish 20:48 10 Nov 2006

I have tried to get my problem with this software resolved by contacting SWD tech support but apart from an initial response they seem to have got bored and I do not have the curtesy of a response.

My situation is as follows:-

1. If Spyware Doctor is set to start when I boot up I can get connected to my ISP but I cannot surf the web or send or receive e-mails.

2. If I boot up and then start SD the same happens.

3. If I connect to the internet I can surf the web and send and receive e-mails. If I then start SD I can continue to surf the web for a while but suddenly for no apparent reason I cannot then make any access to web pages or send or receive e-mails. If I close down SD completely the problem continues.

I have to reboot to continue.

4. If I update the software the same thing happens after it has downloaded and SD has restarted.

5. The scan feature seems to work quite well but after scanning the same happens as 1. above.

6. I have tried turning off various features without any effect.

I have uninstalled Spyware Doctor and downloaded a fresh copy from their web site and installed it again followed by updates as soon as they become available.

Any one got any thoughts?

Regards

Habsish

VoG II 20:51 10 Nov 2006

Ditch Spyware Doctor. There are plenty of alternatives.

Ad-aware click here
Spybot click here
Superantispyware click here
Spywareblaster click here
AVG Antispyware click here
Windows Defender click here
A-squared click here

birdface 21:17 10 Nov 2006

I Have Spyware doctor, Great little program,When you run it from start up, It takes far to long to open and run,I dont run it at start up, and maybe use it once a week or so,Or check for up-dates, Then i switch it back of again,Never ever had any problems with it, Except for the slow start,Could be a reaction from your anti-virus, Or firewall.I can only think the best thing to do, Would be delete it once more, Run C Cleaner to get rid of any bits left, Then reinstall it again, click here What anti-virus and Spyware programs do you have installed, + firewall

chrisjohn 21:32 10 Nov 2006

do you have the paid version or trial,spyware doctor,is their a trial version that lets you delete spyware found. thanks,sorry to butt in.

Probabilitydrive 21:56 10 Nov 2006

Habsish,
I also run SW Doctor, and it is very userfriendly indeed, I just wonder; are you sure it is Spyware Doctor, which is causing your browser to freeze?

If you are using Firefox 2.0 as your browser you might have come across a "stalling incident"
which freezes the browser in unpredictable and unexpected ways. More info on browser freezing here:click here
for a download of the previous FF version:click here

Otherwise, unistall SW Doctor again, but also delete any SW Doctor folder in the programme files and perhaps run a registry cleaner (PC tool's registry mechanic is very effective).

Good luck

Probabilitydrive 21:59 10 Nov 2006

OOps sorry, my first link should get you:click here search for "Stalling"

birdface 23:36 10 Nov 2006

Chrisjohn,It was a trial version that I had,And they were going to stop it, So gave us a year on the upgraded version,But that finishes in two weeks, Then I have to pay if i want to keep it,Yes this version lets me delete any spyware found,

BAC1-11 01:47 11 Nov 2006

I love tese people who come on here and say "Ditch XXXX" and do not give any justification for saying so.

I have Spyware Doctor I do not have any problems with it

Enoch 06:51 11 Nov 2006

VoG---of the programmes you listed, which one do you recommend please

Habsish 08:58 11 Nov 2006

Thank you for the responses.

I have the paid version of SWD. Got it as it seemed to be the only one to identify and remove RazSpyware overlay to my desk top also found other crap.

I also have Spybot and Adware installed. All the programmes seem to find something.

I have McAfee Security Suite installed.

The SWD scans seems to work well during a scan and is informative as to what it finds.

Yes it is slow to load due to it effectively rebooting (tech support explanation).

It is just the problem of running it when you surf the net. If it is not loaded you can surf the net without a problem (for hours if you want)so the finger points at SWD as the culprit.

H

birdface 09:17 11 Nov 2006

If I were you, I would do as I do, Just update it every 2nd day,Then switch it of, And once a week when you are going for dinner or tea Run it then,When you have run it and deleted what it found, just turn it off again, I only use it as back up, Because I know that it is a program I feel safe with, And will find things others dont,So keep it turned off, and use it when you feel the need to,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?