PROBLEMS WITH SPAM

saddler1962 21:06 25 Oct 2006

Hi, hope someone out there can help. My email addy seems to be taken over by something. Im getting 20 to 30 returned (by other folks spam filters)e mails a day saying they were sent from my addy. these have not been sent by me, so how the hell is this happening. Im running with Zone Alarm suite, as e mail and anti virus protection. Ive run anti virus and spyware and it shows nothing.
Any advise would be gratefully recieved

thanks

terryf 21:08 25 Oct 2006

Does block sender help?

saddler1962 21:10 25 Oct 2006

no, as the email addy changes every time
everytime its

xyz@******.wanadoo.co.uk

with the xyz changing everytime, but the other part (the main ******.wanadoo.co.uk) stays same every time

g0slp 21:13 25 Oct 2006

It may be that someone who has your email address in their Address Book has been hit with something, & the perpetrator is using your email addy as a spoof source for their crud.

There's not really a great deal that you can do about it other than change your address; if it's any consolation the problem USUALLY goes away after a while. (Not always though, unfortunately).

You might want to consider Mailwasher or similar as well as your present protection; at least the junk gets stopped at your ISP's server.

Alan2 00:05 26 Oct 2006

You may be interested to note that you are not alone with your problem.

I've been troubled by it for more than a month and have countered it by setting up eight filters on the Orange server [I'm a old Freeserve user] so that all suspicious mail goes straight into the delete box.

I'm currently getting about ten hits per day and I too would like to know how to have it stopped.

g0slp airs my suspicions about the original source ie someone else's unprotected system containing my address.

Mailwasher is something to consider but doesn't that just work at this end rather than through the ISP server?

g0slp 00:48 26 Oct 2006

The way Mailwasher works is to allow you to check all emails addressed to you whilst they are on your ISP's server. You can choose to delete what you want without the offending messages getting to your own PC.

click here

chocolate cake 00:59 26 Oct 2006

The most effective way of ridding yourself of this is to change your email address. Drastis, I know, but 100% effective.

Alan2 08:40 26 Oct 2006

Thanks for the info and the link.

I'll definitely be giving it a go.

Miros 09:09 26 Oct 2006

This small free programme called eprompter is much simpler than Mailwasher try this instead
click here
I does the job just as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?