Problems with some web pages not being displayed

BigAl127 20:44 09 Sep 2003

I'm running XP Pro, and on NTL BB.

Alot of web pages are only partially loading or not loading at all.

e.g ybonline.co.uk loads up, then I click on internet banking, takes me to the relevant page, then I click on login and nothing happens.

Comet, dixons, central trains websites either leave a blank white page or partially load. NTL's homepage only half loads etc.

Any ideas as to what's wrong?

JFT 20:48 09 Sep 2003

Have you got 'active scripting','java applets' enabled and 'script debugging' disabled?

SEASHANTY 20:55 09 Sep 2003

Have you tried using an alternative browser? e.g.
Opera, Mozilla, Netscape - available as free downloads from this website.

BigAl127 21:03 09 Sep 2003

JFT

Thanx for your prompt reply, How do I enable/disable the parts you mentioned?

BigAl127 21:17 09 Sep 2003

Seashanty

Thanx also. Tried your idea of alternative browser, get to the download now icon, then page refuses to open.

Gaz 25 22:43 09 Sep 2003

It has been known for privacy protection in norton IS to cause this.

JFT 22:49 09 Sep 2003

Click 'Tools','Internet options','Security' then hit 'Custom Level' scroll down list to 'Active Scripting and Java Applets' and make sure enable button is set. For 'Script Debugging' click 'Tools','Internet options' hit the 'Advanced Tab' and make sure'Disable Script Debugging' is ticked.
Hope this helps, if it doesn't just repost and somebody will help.
JFT

BigAl127 07:23 10 Sep 2003

JFT

Thanks again, checked those settings, they were as you suggested they should be.

Gaz 25

Thanks, but I'm NOT using Norton. I've got Zonealarm (Free) and AVG running. Even if I disable them both I still get the same problems.

SEASHANTY 12:04 10 Sep 2003

Some web pages use the Macromedia "flash" plugin to display picture or animated sections which you can download from their site or most likely find it on a PC Magazine free disc. You might also find the free browsers on a magazine disc which you could install direct if you cannot D/L them. Just to see if it is a browser problem you have.

dfghjkl 12:28 10 Sep 2003

i am with ntl i have had problems with american sites,i get "cannot find server" i launched a thread on monday and got told certain servers were down,i dont know how to add the thread to this but it will still be there somewhere.

OneSirKnight 12:57 10 Sep 2003

Here is a very handy tool for web pages ,i have used it and it does work with web pages that are slow to open,if you scroll down to "Web Patches" and select (sq webtweak 2k zip) it just may help with your problem....
.click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?