Problems with "Sleep" mode

Bertie B 14:16 24 Oct 2008

I have an Acer Laptop running Vista - just over a year old. Because the thing was hanging quite frequently I recently re-installed the OS using the Recovery Disks produced at time of purchase. All Windows updates are now re-installed. Problem is that I can rarely get the PC to go into sleep mode. Very occasionally it will do it but mostly it goes throught the motions and then invites me to log on again. It will hibernate, but this is a much more lengthy process and is a pain. I have looked in the BIOS but I cannot see any settings relating to this. Also, the fact that the PC will occasionally sllep suggests that it is not the BIOS settings at fault.

ANY SUGGESTIONS, PLEASE?

Cheers

Bertie

Stuartli 14:19 24 Oct 2008

I would stick to Hibernate which, before closing down, Saves all your settings etc.

Standby (or Sleep) doesn't do this routine and, if you have any problems, you could lose data etc if you are unlucky.

Bertie B 13:07 25 Oct 2008

Thanks Marg7 - I thought that might be the cause but having adjusted settings of all USB units to allow computer to put them to sleep and to prevent them waking the computer I find I still have the same problem. However, by a process of ellimination I now find that when the the laptop is running on battery sleep mode does work but when the power cord is plugged in it will not!!??

This appears to be something new since I re-installed the OS - but maybe that's just a coincidence!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie