problems with shortcuts

frostypug 21:36 13 Dec 2010

I have vista and every time recently when I restart my pc firefox shortcut stops working and others as well.
Any ideas please? I have to keep re installing them.. Itunes is another one

northumbria61 22:07 13 Dec 2010

If you are referring to shortcuts on your desktop re-create new ones - ie: go to start-all programs-right click-choose "send to Desktop (create shorcut) - then you can delete the "old" one.

frostypug 22:17 13 Dec 2010

no even if i try to open firefox from the programmes it wont load and neither will i tunes,,this has only just started happening

northumbria61 22:24 13 Dec 2010

Can you attempt a System Restore? To do this, go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore. Then, select a restore point that was before your problems.

northumbria61 22:30 13 Dec 2010

You could also try this -
C:/ drive
Program Files
mozilla firefox
right-click firefox.exe
send to ? desktop

frostypug 13:20 14 Dec 2010

I should have said even the actual programmes wont load either. I have to uninstall firefox and then reinstall..that works until I reboot

northumbria61 21:10 14 Dec 2010

If you have more than one account on your computer try from there - or alternatively right click on the desktop shortcut and "Run as Administrator"

northumbria61 21:12 14 Dec 2010

Use Internet Explorer until a solution is found.

northumbria61 21:17 14 Dec 2010

Also try the following for Firefox -

1. Click on the Start button and navigate to the place in the Start menu that has Firefox. But instead of clicking on it, hold down CTRL and drag the Firefox onto your desktop. This will create a shortcut to Firefox.
2. Test the shortcut by double clicking on it. It will bring you to the normal default start page in Firefox. Close Firefox.
3. Now right click on the shortcut and select Properties. One of the properties is the “target” which will end with firefox.exe”
4. Add a space after this, then put the URL that you want to go to in Firefox, for example click here
5. Click OK to end the properties window and test the shortcut.

Abel 21:19 14 Dec 2010

I know this might sound a bit fundamental but, right click the desk top icon and select 'Properties' to see that the path to the executable (.EXE)file is correct.

Abel

Abel 21:21 14 Dec 2010

Sorry northumbria61 I've cut accross you a little.

Abel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone