Problems setting up new computer

Bagsey 14:47 12 May 2008

I have just bought a new MESH base unit running XP pro. and am have all manner of problems.
The latest is that I cannot get my DVD drives to allow me to install any software.
I have had the blue screen of death and after another try I have had this message from Spybot.I dont know what it means and any DVD I try just throws up a message about a Kernel Fault. Can someone explain to me what is happening please.
This is another of the messages

Event TeaTimer
Spybot - Search & Destroy has detected a change to a System Startup entry.

Definition TeaTimer
Spybot-S&D Resident watches for changes to this setting, and allows you to react to them.

User interactions TeaTimer
Not all startup entries are bad - you have to decide if you trust the program that asks the change. During a user-initiated software installation for example, you would usually allow this change. If this happens while surfing the web or without any intended system changes, you should be careful.>

Does this make sense to anyone.

rawprawn 14:56 12 May 2008

Exit Tea Timer, and try again, few people use this part of S & D because it is not user friendly.
Make sure that you untick it as a start up if you take this advice.

Graham. 14:57 12 May 2008

When you install new software, Spybot Teatimer will detect the attempt to modify the registry. You should click Allow.

wee eddie 16:56 12 May 2008

rawprawn: Teatimer, Win Patrol, whichever you wish. When you load new Software it will/may change, Settings and Startup Entries.

Personally I allow changes in Settings but rarely in Startup Entries.

If you get such a request at a time that you have not just started using a new Program. Start thinking hard ~ There is something on your PC that you don't know about.

rawprawn 17:12 12 May 2008

Agreed, I run WinPatrol. Unfortunately I do not like Tea Timer, and that seemed to be the cause of the problem.

Bagsey 18:21 12 May 2008

I Have just run a scan with AVG and although it told me that I had no Nasties to following were listed as having changed.
C:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll
C:\windows\system32\wsock32.dll
C:\windows\system32\user32.dll
C:\windows\system32\shell32.dll
C:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

It would appear that this is causing various problems one of which is for my DVD drives to fail ie I cannot load any of my software.
After looking on the web I find that a fix reqires a full copy of windows XPpro. Does anyone know of a way round this as I only have the mesh recovery disc.
Sorry for the delay in replying I have been having some troubles with my computer, as you will have gathered.
I talked to MESH today and their answer is to set everything back to factory state. That is the last thing that I want after 3 weeks of struggle.
Thanks for any advice.

rawprawn 19:03 12 May 2008

System Restore to before Spybot installation, or uninstall Spybot?

Bagsey 19:24 12 May 2008

Sorry cant do that,at least I have tried it but no joy.

rawprawn 08:02 13 May 2008

Can you run a system file check,you obviously do not have an XP CD but it can be done without one if you feel up to going into the registry. Or borrow an XP CD from a friend for the needed files.

rawprawn 09:08 13 May 2008

You should read this click here
You will still need to borrow an XP CD from a friend to copy the i386 folder to your machine.

Bagsey 12:09 13 May 2008

Thanks for your very useful link. Unfortunately the fault that I have prevents me from using the DVD drives so can not do as suggested. I am getting very close to doing a full system resett as per MESH or throwing the thing into the river. I suppose a search of the Microsoft help pages may turn up something that I can down load. I also wondered if I could get the info from a XP Pro disc and put it onto a pen drive as my Usb system is still working. Any ideas on that possibility.???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone