problems setting up laptop

bigboab y 17:32 07 Mar 2005

I have just acquired an HP omnibook 6000 laptop.I am trying to install Windows 98se using my original startup floppy disk.I have fdisked and formatted the hard drive.When I boot up to the floppy,on its way to the A: prompt, it points out there is no cd rom drive. Its one of those with swoppable floppy/cd caddy thing.If I swop the floppy for the cd drive (with the W98 cd in it) ,it says invalid disk. On a desktop I would just type "setup" and it would setup from the cd.When I type setup on this it doesnt recognize the drive. Does the swoppable drive on these things keep the same drive letter i.e "A" ?
Driving me loopy .. any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Jeffers22 17:37 07 Mar 2005

They are not usually hot swappable. In which case you will need to do it in two stages.

1. Use FDD (A:) and format Hard Drive (C:) - Turn off.

2. Connect CDROM (probably D:) and turn on. Enter BIOS to select boot from CDROM. Save and exit. When laptop boots from CDROM it should take you straight into a menu from where you can install.

Don't forget to reset BIOS to boot from Hard DIsk once 98 is installed enough to boot from C:

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:48 07 Mar 2005

Dd you not get a cable with the floppy allows you to plug floppy into parallel port and leave CD in caddy.

ESc during Boot allows you to change boot order

bigboab y 19:31 07 Mar 2005

Good stuff guys/gals but bliddy thing is now shutting down after about 10 seconds either on mains or battery... taking it back to vendor..I'll re-open this when i get it back Cheers all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone