Problems setting up a D-LinkDSL-2710R Router

andy625 10:36 23 Nov 2010

I spent yesterday evening changing our router from a Netgear unit to a D-Link DSL-2740R. I followed the quick installation instruction routine that came on the installation cd, and managed to get our laptop online using a cabled connection.

My problems started when I tried to connect my netbook to the wireless network. Initially I tried to set it to WPA2, however I couldn't get my Blackberry to connect to the wireless network with that setting. Next I tried setting the security to WEP. I set up a network name, and set the security to WEP 128 bit. I used the same password/hex key as we had on our old router (with a different network name). I managed to add the Blackberry (manually- the PIN authentication timed out), I also managed to get my netbook to connect to the internet, but the network symbol in the taskbar was saying that it couldn't validate the wireless network. The Blackberry appears to be fine.

I also tried disconnecting the cable from our laptop, and trying to get that to connect wirelessly. However this came up with the same validation message, and wouldn't connect to the internet at all.

Can anyone give me any clues as to what the problem might be?

mgmcc 22:41 23 Nov 2010

Having changed the encryption from WPA2 to WEP, did you delete the existing wireless "profiles" in the Laptop and Netbook and then go through the procedure to "Connect" again?

andy625 10:37 24 Nov 2010

Yes I deleted the existing profiles, and it made no difference. Last night I established that the Blackberry will recognise WPA2 if you tell it that the security is PSK. So I changed the settings back to WPA2 on the router, and managed to get everything to connect ok. The only thing I cant get to connect is my old ipaq pda. That was the main reason I wanted to stick with WEP, as I use it a lot for streaming music.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires