Problems sending e-mail

David Beverley 11:58 14 Nov 2005

Has anyone any bright ideas as how to solve this one? I recently set up a friend’s new laptop and had a dickens of a job to get it to send e-mails. (it would receive them fine). I took it to my house and voila it works with no problem. Return it to friends house and again same problem, able to receive but not send e-mail. I have used EXACTLY the same settings as her old desktop PC and that still works and sends e-mails with no problem. If she takes the laptop to her mothers house the lap top sends e-mail fine.
I am able to connect to the internet with no problem using dial up and internet explorer as the browser.

Using an Evesham lap top with Windows XP 2nd Edition, Wanadoo is her ISP, and using Outlook as the default e-mail programme (Outlook express is not being used)

watchful 13:01 14 Nov 2005

I use IE and wanadoo but Outlook Express. In my mail accounts, pop.freeserve etc. is the default.

Perhaps there is a conflict between Outlook and OE?

recap 13:05 14 Nov 2005

Check the Firewall and anti virus settings.

pauldonovan 13:11 14 Nov 2005

Are you saying it works completely from some locations but not others?

I would almost say I don't believe it. Unless there is a problem with the ISP's nearest "point of presence" to you or something?

David Beverley 13:54 14 Nov 2005

Absolutely so it works from my home but not hers. Her old desk top works fine from her home

recap 14:06 14 Nov 2005

Is the laptop and Desktop networked?

David Beverley 14:14 14 Nov 2005

The lap top and desk top are not networked. Could it be a problem with the BT line? I don't see why when the desk top works ok

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?