Problems returning goods bought on ebay

ponytail 13:29 07 Oct 2014

I dont know the answer to this but maybe someone out there does.A friend at work bought a part for his off road motorbike through Ebay and was told by the seller it was the correct part but when he received it it was for a on road bike.He contacted the seller who said he would refund the £160 he was paid but apparently has changed his mind and will not refund the money.What are my friends options.I have tried contacting EBAY myself sometime ago and found it difficult to say the least.Can someone help. Thank's

hiwatt 13:39 07 Oct 2014

Your friend should open a dispute with Ebay.If an item was bought that is different from the description given by the seller he is entitled to a full refund. If he goes to his ebay account/transaction details there is the option to file a dispute.

spuds 14:46 07 Oct 2014

Depending when the transaction took place (there are limitations and timescales that apply), get your friend to open a dispute procedure with Ebay, like hiwatt as already suggested.

I would also suggest that your friend sends a polite email via their eBay sale account (Look in Purchase History) explaining their pending actions.

Further to that, eBay might need evidence regarding part numbers to verify any claims. A bit of internet searching might be required there.

Jollyjohn 15:52 07 Oct 2014

How did he pay? If Paypal - open a dispute there as well. If Credit card - contact card issuer, same with debit card.

Keep ALL correspondence, no matter how trivial it might appear now.

Create a new folder and save eBay pages, messages & replies etc in the one place.

bumpkin 16:12 07 Oct 2014

I deal with Ebay quite a lot and the first thing to do is contact the seller and inform them that you will initiate a dispute if they are not prepared to resolve it amicably. You have then given them another opportunity to sort it out so that should it go to dispute you have shown yourself to have been reasonable. I have never needed to start a dispute using this approach.

bumpkin 16:16 07 Oct 2014

Also check the sellers feedback, no regular or business seller wants problems or bad feedback, a one off seller however may not care.

Ian in Northampton 19:41 07 Oct 2014

Just fyi: my understanding is that eBay sellers, as you can imagine, hate it - but eBay/PayPal will side with the buyer 99% of the time, pretty much regardless. As others have suggested: your friend should let the seller know that he plans to open a dispute, give him a timeframe in which to issue the refund - and then, if that doesn't happen, follow through with opening a case. Fwiw, in the very, very rare times when I've had a problem with an eBay seller, eBay/PayPal have always seen me right.

ponytail 08:34 08 Oct 2014

Thank's for all your replies I have copied and pasted them on Word and printed them off I will give them to my workmate this morning when I go to work and he can decide what course of action to take.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?