Problems re-installing Windows 98 - Process stalls at 56 percent

Cara2 18:07 31 Oct 2014

Computer failed to start up. Error message: c:\windows\dblbuff.sys and c:\windows\ifshlp.sys

Very rashly (perhaps) decided to re-install Windows 98 from CD Rom but the process constant stalls trying to fix problems and system errors. It now hangs at 56 per cent.

This computer is part of some diagnostic equipment we have and the software is on floppy disc so we urgently need to get it up and running again!

Any help very appreciated.

Cara2 18:08 31 Oct 2014

Actually, I am wondering if it is beyond help?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:15 31 Oct 2014

No but it means having to remember along way back:0)

what happens if you tap f8 as it starts do you get the menu that allows you to select command prompt?

Diemmess 20:39 31 Oct 2014

I seem to remember that typed in DOS " scanreg /restore " solved a lot of things for me. But that's all I do remember!

daxian 00:06 01 Nov 2014

from what i remember ...you had to install dos first then 98 !!! but i cant remember if im right or not ...lol

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:11 01 Nov 2014

daxian

No that was 3.1 :0)

But if the cd is giving problems what I want to do is boot frm floppy and copy the i386 folder to the hard drive and install from there.

However they may be anotherway to deal with the problem and taht is make the software run from a USB stick instead of floppy and it can then be run on a later operating system.

lotvic 12:27 01 Nov 2014

"decided to re-install Windows 98 from CD Rom but the process constant stalls trying to fix problems and system errors. It now hangs at 56 per cent"

Not sure what you mean? is it the install of W98 that stalls? I don't see how W98 can be trying to fix problems and system errors during an install?

Did you f-disk (menu) the harddrive and remake the partition and format as FAT32 for the clean install of W98?

Is the Hard drive ok? it might have developed bad sectors, Have you tried installing a different hard drive?

Jollyjohn 16:41 01 Nov 2014

In my experience W98 hangs if installed over an older installation. Format the disc and do a clean install. Clean the CD before starting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?