PROBLEMS PLAYING MP3 FILES

Hullite 22:41 06 Sep 2005

A friend of mine recently gave me a DVD with loads of MP3 files that he obtained from somewhere. Unfortunatly when I go to play me PC says its doesn't recognise the codec that made the files. I have downloaded div x, realplayer, quicktime and still no joy. Does anybody out there have any fixes that can enable me to play these files.

Kev.Ifty 23:05 06 Sep 2005

A couple more programs capable of playing MP3's

click here

click here

That last one, Win Amp, tends to try to 'take over' your media files. If you find that a problem and prefer WMP to play your files, then went you open WMP click on TOOLS/FILE TYPES and click the 'Select all' tab to restore defaults.

I have found that if a MP3 file won't play using Windows Media Player, then one of the above usually can play it.

Kev

Roadgiant 10:31 07 Sep 2005

I have tried various different programs for playing MP3s

Windows Media player which seems to work Ok.

Creative Play centre seems to work fine.

Real player (free) works but lists all the tracks rather than separate folders.

Nero media player worked but I found it a bit awkward for finding individual tracks/folders.

I tried Winamp for playing Mp3s from a DVD and couldn't get it to work

Hope this info is some use to you
RG

johnnyrocker 10:46 07 Sep 2005

are you sure they are mp3? have you tried copying them to your hard drive and then tried playing from there.?

johnny.

MAJ 10:48 07 Sep 2005

Try "Media Player Classic" click here it plays just about everything for me, is small and unobtrusive. I dumped RealPlayer, Musicmatch Jukebox and Winamp in favour of it.

mattyc_92 10:49 07 Sep 2005

They may be "corrupt" in some way. If this is the case, try "Acoustica" (click here) to open and "Save as" another file.

Yoda Knight 12:15 07 Sep 2005

click here for LOADS of codec related info including codec packs and a progg that analyses the file and tells you (most of the time) what codec is required

BBez 21:27 07 Sep 2005

yep, i'd go for winamp, miles better than media player and it correctly reads VBR (variable bitrate) mp3 files...

you could also use what MAJ says as mplayer classic is good also...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?