problems with outlook express

hoopschick 20:40 24 Mar 2005

hi i've just bought myself a fantastic new dell pc and given my old pc to my dad - his old machine had windows 98 and so he's ell over the moon with the faster model and xp except for one thing. he accesses his mail via outlook express but despite everything i am stumped as to how to sort it out for him. his server is supanet.com and he refuses to go on to broadband.i can set up an account but the error code comes up while trying to connect to server error number 0x800ccc15 and that the smtp is not valid. i have put his pop as pop.supanet.com and assumed the smtp would be smtp.supanet.com. all he wants to do is access the same account that he used on his old pc on his new one!!!!! please help

VoG II 20:45 24 Mar 2005

From what I can find this is a WinSock error. Try Winsockfix click here

hoopschick 14:11 25 Mar 2005

Thanks for that but it hasn't solved the problem - i downloaded the winsock fix and it did its stuff but when i went on to try and send an email through the outlook express account it still came up with the same error code this is very frustrating as there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why it works on a windows 98 over the room and not on the new pc with xp yet he can access it at my house on my new pc. any more ideas please???????????

BRYNIT 14:16 25 Mar 2005

May be a silly question but have you checked that the account settings are correct.

Yoda Knight 14:19 25 Mar 2005

According to the Supanet web page, pop.supanet.com and smtp.supanet.com is correct...

click here for their help pages

User-312386 14:25 25 Mar 2005
  hoopschick 23:29 25 Mar 2005

cheers but yes all the account settings are fine - pop/smtp.supanet.com. i'd already been on the supanet help section thanks. any more ideas????

Number 7 23:48 25 Mar 2005

Try this:

Under Tools> Accounts, click Properties, then Servers.

Under "Outgoing Mail Server", tick

"My server requires authentication".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017