Problems with OS recognition

Fleetblue 12:19 21 Feb 2010

I've been having a few problems recently, including the nvlddmkm.sys error, which is still plagueing me, but now I'm wondering if my OS is not being recognised by some sites.

I have:
Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit
Intel(R)Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU [email protected] GHz
2.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce8800 GT

Now this is what is happening: I went on to Microsoft Support to ask a question about Vista Services Packs and this is the reply I got:

This article applies to a different version of Windows than the one you are using. Content in this article may not be relevant to you.
Visit the Windows XP Solution Center.

I went on to Windows Update. I was told I needed Administrator Privileges (I am an Administrator) and also received this:

If you use Windows XP, you can see if you are an administrator by going to User Accounts in Control Panel.

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

Taff™ 12:48 21 Feb 2010

First thing I`d do is run a System File Check. Go to Start>Run (Windows Key + R Key will do it too) type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes and note the space between c & /.

Fleetblue 16:55 21 Feb 2010

Ran the System File Check but the only files it found any problems with were related to Windows Sidebar. I tried installing KB940105 but got a message that this did not apply to my system, but it's a Vista fix. Puzzled.

sunnystaines 17:04 21 Feb 2010

thats a nvidia graphics error.

unistall graphics driver and install latest driver from nvidia

Taff™ 17:57 21 Feb 2010

Agreed - Reinstall the Nvidia graphics driver. (Any Link sunnystaines?)

sunnystaines 18:14 21 Feb 2010

as requested

click here

Taff™ 18:58 21 Feb 2010

Thanks Mate. Didn`t know where to find it myself but you`d obviously researched it. Let`s hope this gets some way to solving Fleetblue`s problem!

Fleetblue 09:42 22 Feb 2010

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll get that sorted now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?