problems with office 2007 - can' install email acc

Stressed Mum 17:08 29 Nov 2009

OK - so I managed to install the drivers from Dell and have closed that thread - but now I have problems with the office software. All appeared to download fine - but can't open accounts to set up emails as it says registry or installation problems. Have uninstalled and reinstalled with same error. I guess I must have something else missing from the XP reinstall. Also, still cannot get printer to communicate.

Sea Urchin 17:11 29 Nov 2009

Which program are you using as your email client?

howard64 17:15 29 Nov 2009

could you be a bit more informative about the problem you are having? I have never seen accounts within office - maybe just me. With office you just use whichever prog you want such as word. For your printer you may have to uninstall it both from start - printers and faxes - and any prog installed for it from control panel - add/remove progs. Then reboot the pc and with the printer not connected run the cd that came with the printer and connect it when told to do so.

Stressed Mum 17:29 29 Nov 2009

sorry - should have given more info. I have just reinstalled windows xp on dell inspiration 2350. Didn't backup drivers so had real job installing them. Think I've managed that now. Can't install the printer Lexmark X5470 - just doesn't wanna know about it and will not communicate at all. Now, I have just downloaded Office 2007 and that was all fine. All programs work well but in Outlook - when I go to tools, accounts, to set up email accounts I get this error. 'The operation failed because of registry problem or installation problem. Please restart or reinstall' I have restarted and reinstalled twice now but still get the same error. I have installed all other programs - i.e. iTunes, Windows Live, MS updates, Ccleaner, etc without any problems.

Stressed Mum 17:31 29 Nov 2009

The printer is a few years old now - and there was not a CD with it - I originally downloaded all drivers and software from Lexmark - but this time around it won't have it - and plug and play doesn't like it either. Tries rebooting without it being connected - then connect it and Windows finds it - but doesn't install it???

Sea Urchin 18:20 29 Nov 2009

Download the driver and save it to your desktop from here click here

Then double-click the saved file and run it while the printer is disconnected and follow prompts. The driver should then find its own way to installation.

howard64 08:58 30 Nov 2009

with outlook I think that what is happening is that you are not entering the correct details for it to connect with your isps server. This can be a problem but it is normally pop3 and the password. If this is what is wrong post back and I am sure some of these Outlook exsperts will be able to guide you through it.

Stressed Mum 09:11 30 Nov 2009

Thanks Howard64 - but I can't even get that far! As soon as I click Accounts (to open up that tab and set up) I get the error message! Just about to uninstall again and try reinstalling. I wonder if it is anything to do with the fact that after XP install I should have reinstalled the original MS Office 2003 first - then installed 2007?

Ford Prefect 01 10:20 30 Nov 2009

Rather than reinstalling Office you could try a repair from add/remove programs in control panel.

If that fails then a reinstall of office may be required.

What model number is your printer as I may have an old Lexmark cd or two hanging about.

Ford Prefect 01 10:24 30 Nov 2009

I must apologise I had not noticed you had already told us the printer model. The printer drivers are available here.

click here

Stressed Mum 10:27 30 Nov 2009

Sea Urchin - wow! That download worked! Thank you very much. Printer communicating just as it should, and software is currently loading the All in One Centre for first use.

Ford Prefect 01 - thank you. I have tried the repair function in add/remove and also the detect error thingy in office but nothing appears to be wrong. Oddly enough - this loaded absolutely fine and was functioning correctly for 2 weeks prior to the XP install. Just about to reinstall it again now. Thanks for the Printer CD offer - but that appears sorted now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017