Problems with new Mobo and Windows Vista.

cyber pikey 04:09 05 Feb 2007

Having assembled my first computer, I am having a few teething problems. When I tried to install Vista Ultimate 64bit OEM, whenever it would boot up my computer would just keep restarting. I reformated the hard disk and installed home premium 32 bit. I can get into windows but it is very very buggy. I believe that the problem is caused by the motherboard. When I look at 'problem reports', I can see the message:

"Description
Windows detected a new device attached to your computer, but could not find the driver software it needs to make the device usable. Each device manufacturer typically includes driver software of a CD that comes with the device, or as a download from its website. The hardware ID of your device is ACPI\ATK0110."

It says that to update the device, I have to go to windows update, which i have done but to no avail. Any advice would be much appreciated.

(My computer)
MOBO: Asus M2N-SLIDELUXE
CPU: AMD Athlon 64X2 5000+
RAM: 2GB Geil DDR2
GFX: Nvidia GeForce7600GT
HDD: WD 500GB
Current OS: Vista 32bit home premium

Zero G 10:42 05 Feb 2007

It's to do with Vista not being compatable with some drivers needed to run the software properly. Vista is so new some companies have not yet released Vista Drivers for their devices.

Totally-braindead 11:05 05 Feb 2007

Did you do this. Install Xp then install the motherboard drivers? It sounds to be like you have not installed the motherboard drivers and are using windows own drivers which will not be the correct ones. That would definatly cause problems.
If you don't have the motherboard disk you can get the drivers from the ASUS website. If you plan on trying Vista again you would be as well seeing if there are Vista drivers for the board as well and backing them up once your XP is running properly.

Kate B 12:56 05 Feb 2007

64bit Vista requires drivers to be signed - if they're unsigned they won't install. So I hope your mobo has signed 64bit drivers ...

terryf 01:31 06 Feb 2007

If you are building your first pc, I suggest that as Vista is so new and drivers are scarce, you could consider getting an oem version of winxp home and getting your system up and running with that. Then when everything is running smoothly, go to click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?