Problems with multiple OS

Heran 21:54 09 Aug 2003

I have win98 SE in one hard disk and XP professional in another hard disk. In OS menu during booting only XP professional written twice appears. While the PC boots OK with one it gives me an error message "the following file windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing or correupt please re0install file again". If I disconnect one of the connectors each hard disk (OS) works OK separately. Can you please help?

I originally had one 4.3GB hardidk with WIN98 SE. I installed a second 80GB hardisk. Because I wanted to have 98 in the new hard disk, I disconnected the 98 old harddisk first and installed 98 in the new hard disk. after disconnecting the new one I upgraded the old disk to XP professional and finally I connected both hard disks. When I tried to boot the OS menu appeared with XP only. I would really appreciate your help.

best regards, Johannes

LastChip 22:09 09 Aug 2003

The way I read your post, you installed each system individually to each drive, with the opposing drive disconnected. Is that correct?

The correct procedure should have been;

Install Windows 98se on the appropriate drive, and then install XP using the installer program to determine where XP will reside.

XP will then recognize the other operating system and create a boot menu in order for you to choose which system to boot into.

If my assumptions are correct, you may be able to re-create the boot file (which already exists in XP), to point to Windows 98se.

You need to find the contents of your "boot.ini" file, which will almost certainly be located on your "C" drive in the root. It is a hidden file, so you will need to go to the folder options and select "Show hidden files". Once found, open it with Wordpad or something similar, and post the contents here, and one of us will try and work out what should be there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?