Problems with monitor on docking station

Pineman100 18:49 01 Oct 2007

I am installing a Vista Home Premium Dell laptop with a Targus ACP50EU USB2.0 Docking Station With ideo. The intention is to have all peripherals (printer, separate desktop monitor, etc.) connected to the docking station.

I want to get the laptop screen and the desktop monitor to show the same display. I've got the separate monitor working off the docking station (VGA port) OK, but it only shows the Vista desktop background pattern - no cursor, no icons, no taskbar, no system tray.

I've checked Control Panel>Display Settings, and to my surprise it shows *three* monitors, labelled as follows:

1. Generic PnP monitor on NVIDIA Geforce 8400M GS ("Extend desktop to this monitor" is ticked but greyed out, "This is my main monitor" ditto)
2. (Default monitor) on NVIDIA Geforce 8400M GS
(The icon for this is smaller than the other two and it's marked "Not active")
3. Generic PnP monitor on Targus USB2.0 VGA docking device ("Extend desktop to this monitor" is ticked).

If I go to monitor 3 and tick "This is my main monitor", the situation that I've described above is reversed. i.e. the desktop monitor shows my complete desktop - icons, cursor, etc. etc. and the laptop monitor just shows the blank Vista background.

Please can you explain how I can get both displays to show the full active image? I'm flummoxed!

PS: I don't know whether this is relevant, but when I first installed the docking station drivers, Vista reported that they were incompatible. So I downloaded the Vista drivers from the Targus website. That file uninstalled the old drivers and installed the new ones. Since then, the Vista sidebar has stopped working and when I boot up the computer I get an error report "Error loading cmcnfgu.cpl. The specified module could not be found". Are these two problems perhaps related?

woodchip 19:08 01 Oct 2007

Your Graphics adapter is just set to Dual Display. It's a extension to your Desktop. You can drag file etc to the other monitor

Pineman100 08:13 02 Oct 2007

Is there any way that I can change the settings of my graphics adapter to show the full active image on both screens?

Pineman100 09:50 02 Oct 2007

^

woodchip 15:25 02 Oct 2007

I think it deppends on your Graphics card, some allow you to change one to the other

Pineman100 16:40 02 Oct 2007

Anyone know whether the above graphics card can do what I want, please?

woodchip 21:48 02 Oct 2007

Check Display settings, By right click on Desktop\Properties

Pineman100 13:37 03 Oct 2007

it seems the video card can only support one screen, as you suggested. However, I have set up the system so that he switches screens before using the computer with either.

So all is well.

I'm very grateful for your continued advice. Thanks a lot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017