Problems with laptop on new BT Home Hub

Pineman100 09:57 01 May 2007

A friend of mine has just retired from working for a big international company. They have given him the Dell laptop that was his work computer (runs XP SP2 Home).

Previously he connected to the internet at home via a BT broadband modem. He connected to his company in another country via VPN Client software. He was able to run the VPN or Internet Explorer, but not both together.

Now he has retired, he has uninstalled the VPN Client software and upgraded his broadband connection with a BT Home Hub router (no phone - just b/b). However, he cannot get IE to connect to any websites.

He can ping test websites successfully from a DOS window, but IE just reports "Unable to connect etc..." This even happens when he tries to connect to the Home Hub via its IP address.

He has tried this wirelessly and with an ethernet cable connection to the router - no difference.

He has made several interminable calls to BT's support line in India, and has been talked through all of the appropriate settings - apparently successfully. But IE still refuses...

Anyone got any ideas, please?

Technotiger 10:01 01 May 2007

Hi, has he got ADSL Filters on ALL his telephones?

HauxtonPhil 12:28 01 May 2007

Is he trying to use Internet Explorer or the BT version (which probably had a shortcut on the desktop after installing the BT software)?

Pineman100 14:51 01 May 2007

He's "in transit" at present, but I'll ask him those two questions later.

Thanks for your replies.

Pineman100 15:16 01 May 2007

TT - thanks for the thought. He's definitely got filters on all phone points.

HP - an interesting point! I've just had a word with him, and he has NOT installed the software from the CD that came with the Home Hub! He says he assumed that the version of IE which installed with XP would be all he would need!

So presumably no device drivers. I've told him to install the software on the CD and then try again.

Does the Home Hub need a special BT version of IE? If so, I presume this will be on the CD.

Many thanks to you both for your thoughts.

T0SH 19:12 01 May 2007

Not sure if this may be the answer but some VPN systems use a proxy server for connections, if he has uninstalled this software then perhaps he needs to talk to the IT department in the place he worked ?, also perhaps he should revert back to the old BT modem as a trial with a previously known working system would eliminate any laptop settings if it works ?

Cheers HC

postie24 19:28 01 May 2007

Have a read through this click here
If you go wireless remember to change the encryption to wpa when your up and running

Postie24

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?