problems internet page displaying

Ramification 15:28 12 Oct 2003

hi everyone,
ive a problem with my web page display.
im using NTL broadband with XP pro. I have just removed a virus that changed my LAN settings and stopped me browsing. (QHOST?) and installed a patch. i also got other latest patches and virus remover tools off the symantec site and installed these too.
since doing this i am now able to view pages if i directly type in the website address (for example bbc.co.uk) but i cannot connect to google.co.uk to search which was my homepage before i got the QHOST virus. i just get -'The page cannot be displayed'
so i set it to yahoo.co.uk and i can view this page but when i try to use the search i just get the same error page. please help!!! :0

recap 17:17 12 Oct 2003

Have you tried searching for Google via Yahoo then setting it as your home page?

Ramification 17:26 12 Oct 2003

yes tried that, just get 'page cannot be displayed' message when i try to select google from yahoo search.... any other ideas?

johnnyrocker 17:45 12 Oct 2003

i suspect you still have a variant of the same virus, theses later ones require disabling system restore before cleansing after updating av etc, have you done this?

cheers.

johnny.

Ramification 17:50 12 Oct 2003

no, youve lost me there, please explain the process a little more for me? thanks. i think this is it...

Ramification 20:08 13 Oct 2003

hi again, i disabled system resore and re ran the virus tool. but still unable to connect to search engines google etc and search....

MAJ 20:29 13 Oct 2003

Do a search for the HOSTS file on your hard drive (it's probably at C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc), when you find it open it in Notepad and if you see a line in it like 127.0.0.1 www. google.com, delete that line and save the HOSTS file, you should then be able to connect to Google, do the same for any other search engines you're having problems with.

Ramification 17:28 14 Oct 2003

ok, done that and when i type in google.co.uk it takes me to 'c panel?' and says 'There is no website configured at this address.'
please help! thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?