Problems installing windows XP

Scott_the_Scot 16:23 11 Oct 2008

I have been having problems with one of my computers. It reboots for no reason. I decided to reinstall XP using the recovery discs supplied with the machine. Once XP starts to copy it's files I keep getting errors "Windows cannot copy file *.*". I have tried many times and the file names are always different but the result is the same if I press escape to skip the file the error reappears with another file name. So far I have tried the following.

2 Different copies of XP
Changed the hard drive
Changed the CD Drive
Changed the RAM

Any ideas on what may be causing this.

Jollyjohn 16:34 11 Oct 2008

How is your Hard drive formatted? I have had similar troubles trying to install XP on a FAT32 partition. Try formatting as NTFS.
Also clean the CD before starting.

Scott_the_Scot 16:37 11 Oct 2008

I let XP install disc format the drive to NTFS when starting.

woodchip 16:38 11 Oct 2008

If you have more than one stick of Ram. Just try with one stick. These one at a time as it sounds like you have a Faulty stick

Scott_the_Scot 17:31 11 Oct 2008

I agree it does sound as though it is a RAM problem but I have tried a new single stick and still have the problem.

Scott_the_Scot 15:53 12 Oct 2008

Could it be the processor.

woodchip 20:35 12 Oct 2008

Doubt it very much, Could be that the Hard Drive as faulty sectors. You could try this it as tools to check fix drive. click here read tutorials on the left

phono 22:31 12 Oct 2008

A good, free, test for RAM is available for download at click here

As it is software based it is not as conclusive as a proper hardware test unit but is, nonetheless, pretty reliable.

Scott_the_Scot 12:30 13 Oct 2008

I have tried two different hard drives and get the same problem.

Rahere 12:40 13 Oct 2008

Could it be the CD that is the problem - if it's a copy then it might be a bad burn. Have you tried a proper installation disc instead of a recovery disc?

From what you've tried so far there are only a few things left!

CPU, Motherboard, Power supply, cables??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?