Problems installing USB 2.0 pci card

Dave911 11:27 26 Dec 2004

I have just bought a 4XUSB 2.0 pci card badged by Sweex Essentials, however I believe it to be an NEC chipset.
I have removed the old USB 1.0 card and replaced it with the new card.
On restart the found new hardware wizard starts up, yet it tells me that it cannot install the hardware - an error occured in the installation of the device. The data is invalid.
I have looked on the Sweex.com website and downloaded the NEX XP driver and that has done nothing.
I am running Win XP with SP2 and have an Asus A7A266 motherboard.
Anyone got any suggestions.

Cheers

ACOLYTE 11:31 26 Dec 2004

Perhaps you need to upgrade your mobo drivers.

Dave911 11:37 26 Dec 2004

Now you have me - what on earth is a mobo driver???

ACOLYTE 11:42 26 Dec 2004

Motherboard drivers for your chipset yours is the ali m167 chipset i think so tyr finding up to date drivers for it.

click here

May help

click here

Usb may help too.

Dave911 12:14 26 Dec 2004

Sorry guys, but this getting me a bit scared here - affraid I may do serious damage.
According to the manual I have a ALi M1647 system controller and an ALi M1535D+PCIset, which drivers are you talking about as there appear to be several drivers on the chipset to mess around with.
Is there one I should be looking for and anyone know where the latest driver which supports USB 2 can be found?

Dave

Technotiger 12:35 26 Dec 2004

Hello, Good Morning and Welcome, come on in, do not be Scared. Let's try something else - could be as simple as - PCI Card not seated properly in slot, remove and replace making sure it is properly fitted. or On-board USB not enabled in BIOS! If the latter you need to go into the BIOS, I repeat 'Do not be Scared' just follow these instructions - Enter the BIOS by re-starting your pc, during the start-up hold down the Del key on your keyboard - this will bring up the BIOS Main Menu, look carefully at the Menu and you will see that it clearly explains which keys to use in order to navigate the Menu. Good - now navigate through the Menu until you come to Integrated Peripherals, then look for the OnChip Device Function list, there you will find USB Host Controller, check to see if this is Enabled/Disabled, it should be Enabled. When done press F10 on your keyboard, re-boot as normal and hopefully this may have 'cured' your problem. Happy New Year.

Dave911 12:41 26 Dec 2004

Bela

Thanks very much - took some finding, but when at looked at the reg address thru device manager for each item that was giving me problems, I changed it to allow as your link suggested and bingo it worked!

Sorted

Happy New Year

Technotiger 12:50 26 Dec 2004

ßéLâ........nice one; now I've learnt something too. Happy New Year.

ps - Dave911 - don't forget your Green Tick!! Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?