problems installing a soundwave 5.1 pci card

ding dong dave 12:36 18 Nov 2006

hi all.
can anyone help me with the following problem?
i am installing a soundwave 5.1 pci card made by SIIG on to a Asus A7S8X-MX mainboard, i have installed the card and driver but when i come to reboot all i get is the XP boot screen then it all goes blank, i tried disabling the onboard sound card aswell, same problem again.
i then did a system restore and installed the card and the driver but this time i installed the driver from microsoft and not off the disk, same problem again.
any help would be grateful

dave

I. T. Mastermind 12:39 18 Nov 2006

maybe a bios update for your mobo would help things, or failing that if worse comes to worse i'd re-install windows from scratch

I. T. Mastermind 12:43 18 Nov 2006

i know re-installing windows is a bit drastic, myself i upgraded my Audigy 4 to an X-Fi Fata1ty yesterday and have had no problems. But unless you've tried the latest drivers, it might be the only way. Sorry I can't be of more help.

ding dong dave 12:48 18 Nov 2006

why would i need to reinstall windows what do i gain?

gudgulf 13:54 18 Nov 2006

Try the soundcard in a different PCI slot........you might have an IRQ conflict.

Make sure the card is fully seated in its slot.

ding dong dave 14:48 18 Nov 2006

tried it in a different slot same problem

I. T. Mastermind 15:44 18 Nov 2006

the way you describe the fault I would assume as you got it to boot with system restore that the software is the problem, I personally would have thought that by re-installing windows you could rule out any software errors, except of course unless the drivers were the problem in which case I would use the latest ones available. In summary what you would gain is knowing if the software was the problem.

no way 16:32 18 Nov 2006

is it possible that the sound card is faulty?

I. T. Mastermind 16:36 18 Nov 2006

yeah that could be a posibility but personally i like to go along the lines of the process of elimination, software then hardware in this case

I. T. Mastermind 16:41 18 Nov 2006

personally i've never had any experience with Siig sound cards or any of there hardware but next time buy an X-fi and you won't regret it

ding dong dave 16:54 18 Nov 2006

i have re-installed windows and i still get same problem. i have looked on SIIG's website aswell and the card should work. going to update BIOS and try again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?