Problems with installing Sound Blaster Audygy card

Habsish 21:32 25 Feb 2008

Dell computer.

Hard drive reformated and XP plus Service pack 2 installed. Updates carried out. Was a problem with the Creative updates freezing on instalation.

Computer worked OK but sound would not. Tried various work rounds including uninstalling and reinstalling software and drivers (several times). System restore also tried.

Sound works but not with Sound Audgy software
default device is Emu 10x audio (cd) whatever that might be. Device manager says there is a Craeative Audigy processor. Craetive softwarte says it cannot find it.

Any suggestions?

H

bluto1 22:37 25 Feb 2008

Have you checked that the card is properly connected?

exodus 22:38 25 Feb 2008

Hi, just to clarify some points before attempting to resolve the Audigy issue.

As this is a Dell computer, was it supplied with a Dell recovery/restore disc?
If so, did you use it to re-install XP or do you have your own XP installation disc?

If a Dell disc, please clarify what type was used.

Does the motherboard have an onboard sound chip?
If so, has it been disabled in the BIOS?
I am assuming you are using a Creative Audigy PCI card...........is that a correct?

Do you have the Creative Audigy installation disc?

exo

Habsish 08:18 26 Feb 2008

Exodus,

Thanks for responding.

Dell reinstallation CD used (CD 100701). Reason for reinstallation was nothing to do with the sound that was working fine.

Yes there is an on board sound chip I believe as the computer now seems to pick that up

I assume the chip is disabled as I have not done anything with the BIOS.

Everything is the same internally as I have not touched anything.

Device manager indicates Creative Audigy 2 (WDM)
Also SoundMax Intergrated digital audio.

I have used the creative sound card installation disc. On installation it does not like to be updated.

A previous reinstallation using same disc with the help of Dell (2004/5) went ok.

Regards

Habsish

lotvic 08:36 26 Feb 2008

The drivers for your Dell computer can be installed from the ResourceCD/DVD or from the Dell Drivers and Downloads page. It is recommended that you print the driver order list before starting the download process click here
It is important to Install Drivers in the Correct Order
After reinstalling Microsoft® Windows®, follow the order listed when reinstalling drivers. It is recommended that you print the list for reference when installing drivers.

Demora 10:08 26 Feb 2008

You may need to edit the Registry before you can re install the soundcard software. Bit scary and I can't tell you how as its years (6) since I had to do it.

D

exodus 12:23 09 Mar 2008

Hi, I suggest disabling the onboard sound chip in the bios setup screens.

Remove any reference in Device Manager. That is probably the SoundMax Intergrated digital audio.

Not sure why you refer to the Creative installation disc not liking update. Just auto run the disc and it should enter the setup window.
If the previous installation is possibly corrupt, you can normally use Creative setup to remove or repair previous installation.

Let us know how it goes.

exo

Habsish 15:25 09 Mar 2008

Exodus,

Thanks.

Have done the whole lot again from formating the hard drive (well the man I use did as I was completly lost). Not many realise this but Dell computers require drivers to be loaded in a certain order.

Done what they said and all seems to work OK at the moment. Why the sound max on board thingy was not disabled at the outset in the BIOS God (& Dell)knows why. Ignored Sound Max for loading drivers etc.

I would like to thank everyone for their helpful comments.

Are you battened down for tomorrows bit of a wind? Another crying wolf from the media???

Hopefully nobody has too much hassle.

Hab

exodus 21:22 09 Mar 2008

Hi, glad you got it sorted, albeit via the hard way and formatting.

I can understand the motherboard drivers being installed first, especially chipset followed by graphics but after that, well, I guess Dell had to list them in some order.

As regards the weather, I reside way down south, so I am hoping they are exaggerating a little, as they often do. Just looking for my crash helmet.........

Thanks for the update.

exo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?