Problems installing Netscape 7

Andrew P 18:29 11 Feb 2003

Hi all,
I spent all day Sunday downloading Netscape 7 on a 56k modem (grrrr!) and I chose the 'full' option. But whenever I try to install it, it hangs on the first file (Netscape XPCOM) and gives the message: 'setup has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience'. It then offers to report the error to microsoft, which I have done several times now. I am running Windows XP on an Intel P4 2.0Ghz Dell System, with 1024MB RAM and 120GB hard disk drive. I have downloaded the same files again with the same problem, and have tried running setup in safe mode, also with the same problem. Any ideas?

€dstow 18:38 11 Feb 2003

Try a system restore to before you loaded Netscape and do a new download. Download to disk (rather than opening the file) so that you have a copy to fall back on.

Netscape does appear on magazine cover disks so you may want to look around your newsagents to see if any of the current periodicals have it.

I would recommend doing the system restore in any case to remove any possible corrupt files which may interfere with future installations.

€d

Andrew P 18:43 11 Feb 2003

removed the netscape folder in Prog Files, rebooted, re-downloaded the setup program, and then let it download the files again.

would that be enough, or should I use GoBack? (SysRestore is disabled because I always use GoBack instead.)

€dstow 19:15 11 Feb 2003

GoBack/System Restore/whatever.

My idea was to remove all previous information about Netscape, the reason being that if you do have a corrupted file it won't necessarily be removed by using the normal uninstall or add/remove and it may just be that it will prevent you from successfully installing a good version.

Not saying it will work but, it's worth a try.

Do you have a particular reason for wanting Netscape? To my mind it seems to have lost its way over the past year or so and is easily beaten by Opera and Mozilla. I do use Netscape but mainly for completeness when we are working on websites where you need maximum compatibility with different browsers.

If it's just because you want to try another browser, have a go with Opera click here which I'm using more and more in preference to IE6.

€d

Andrew P 19:30 11 Feb 2003

Should I download the US 7.01 version of Opera, or the UK 6.04 version? The 7.01 version doesn't appear to be available in UK English yet...

€dstow 19:35 11 Feb 2003

7·01 is the current version from click here

There is an English version available.

€d

€dstow 19:38 11 Feb 2003

Sorry, misunderstood slightly.

The American version isn't too much of a problem!

Do your GoingBack or ??? before installing or you'll have to do it all again!;-))

€d

Installer. 19:45 11 Feb 2003

Opera 7 has major problems with javascript used on such sites as online banks, seems worse than 6.05.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?