Problems Installing Digital Camera in XP Pro.

Octoz 13:09 29 Jan 2004

Have recently run a clean installation of XP pro and tried to install a Fuji finepix Z6900.
Tried from fuji cd(failed) then downloaded XP driver from internet. Followed instructions to the letter but when I plug the camera in (via USB)
the Found new hardware wizard appears over and over again so that when I explore device manager in My computer there are 5-6 yellow flags next to unknown device.
Running a P3 550mhz with 384 RAM
Anyone got any suggestions please?

Very many thanks in anticipation!

dodicesimo 13:38 29 Jan 2004

Forget the camera software! It's notoriously tricksy stuff and you'd be far better off using a card reader. They're cheap, USB connectible and don't drain your camera batteries during a download.

Octoz 10:40 30 Jan 2004

Bump

Giant68 10:53 30 Jan 2004

I agree with dodicesimo. A card reader can be picked up for less than £20 and XP will pick it up as a removable storage device when the card is in, just copy the photos from it to your hdd. Either that or the XP camera wizard will recognise that there are pictures on the card and ask you what you want to do with them

Giant68

stlucia 11:25 30 Jan 2004

If you simply want to download your photos off the camera, I don't think you need the camera software or a card reader if you're using XP.

I just plug my Minolta into a USB socket, and XP recognises it without me having installed any Minolta software, and I can print, save to my HDD, and delete photos off the camera.

Octoz 14:03 30 Jan 2004

Just to clarify.

If I attach the camera to the computer without using Fuji drivers then I get the message "found new hardware", the wizard starts but states that there has been a problem and it cannot install the device.I get this again and have to disable the "ghost" non working devices in Device manager.
Think that I probably will get a card reader but have what is becoming an unreasonable drive to be able to use Fuji software!

Octoz 14:51 30 Jan 2004

Bump

anchor 15:07 30 Jan 2004

I agree with the above comments; get a card reader and forget tring to use the Fuji software.

A SmartMedia card reader will cost you less than a tenner. Have a look here:

click here

byfordr 15:19 30 Jan 2004

Further to dodicesimo above if all else fails go for a card reader. It may be worth considering one any way for the sake of a tenner it saves a lot of hassle. click here For 9.99 + vat it reads all these types of memory XD/MS/MS Pro/CF/CFII/SM/SD/MMC/MD I have given quite a few of these to friends and family. Just got another 2 through the post today. XP automatically picks it up.

Octoz 13:29 31 Jan 2004

Bump

jimv7 13:45 31 Jan 2004

This might shed some light on your problem,

recently I was involved in loading a cannon camera and it was showing exactly the same faults as you are having, on checking with cannon, there is a problem with conflicts on some via chipped motherboards preventing the cannon camera from loading.

advise from cannon as they have no interest in solving or updating their drivers was to purchase a card reader.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?