problems installing AOL Broadband on new laptop

LadyPilot 18:36 26 Mar 2006

I wonder if anyone can help me. I'm not sure if Im missing something totally obvious here but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I use AOL broadband silver on my desktop PC. However, I have just brought a laptop and would like to use it from there too. However, when I try to install the disc onto my laptop, I get an error message almost immediately saying: "Can't get registry value: key=software/GlobespanVirata/Adsl value=drivertype" Whats this in English? Also, if I just click "ok" on this and continue installation, I get another message saying "it appears that your broadband modem drivers have failed to install correctly" I have spent about 4 days fiddling about with internet options, network connections etc and I just can't seem to fathom it out. I'm not particularly computer literate so any advice in Laymans terms would be useful!!!! I am using exactly the same modem (provided by AOL) in my laptop as I use on my desktop PC and am just unplugging the USB blue lead from the PC and plugging it into the laptop. Am I missing something obvious? Are there any other cables I need? Also on checking on my desktop PC in the Add/Remove programs, I can see the BT voyager modem is listed there, but not listed on the laptop despite installing the same CD. Is this related to the error message I get about modem drivers? HELP! I'm going mad! (and bald!)

This sounds as though you have plugged in the modem before you installed the drivers from the CD and it hasn't installed correctly. You need to check in device manager and see if it is listed in there and if it has a yellow mark on it. Should be listed as a globespan modem. If this is the case I think you need to right click it and uninstall it then unplug it. Then restart the laptop and run the CD again and only plug the modem in when asked to.

hzhzhz 19:01 26 Mar 2006

Is there anything here click here to help you ?.

LadyPilot 19:18 26 Mar 2006

I can't actually find the Voyager modem listed in the device manager or in the Add/Remove programs section of my laptop. When I installed the Broadband CD for the first time on my desktop PC it said not to plug in the modem equipment until instructed (as the disc was installing), so I did exactly the same this time, but got the first error message within seconds of running the easy install disc. The only modem I have listed on the laptop is the built in one (Agere Systems AC'97 Modem).

LadyPilot 19:21 26 Mar 2006

Forgot to say, I haven't actually tried plugging in the modem until the install disc says I should. Each time I uninstall AOL to try it again, I always make sure the modem isn't plugged in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?