Problems with iexplore.exe

MichaelF 18:28 13 Jul 2006

Sometimes the speed of my PC slows down dramatically.
A quick check on Windows Task Master shows that 50% of CPU activity is on iexplore.exe
But it does not seem to do anything. I understand this is a windows programme that I need to use the internet.
But why does it suddenly decide to start doing something. Usually my CPU is showing about 5% usage.
I have a Pentium 4, 3.40 ghz. 1.00gb of ram.
I am running Windows XP
Any ideas?

SANTOS7 18:36 13 Jul 2006

click here
iexplore.exe is not necessarily a windows conponent
it has many guises, the way you have spelt it (IMPORTANT) may relate to the link...

skidzy 18:38 13 Jul 2006

Firstly check for spyware/malware ...use the top 5 weekly with updates click here

Hope this helps

skidzy 18:42 13 Jul 2006

Also meant to say,run your AV too.

MichaelF 19:09 13 Jul 2006

I have a virus checker that updates and runs every night.
I have ad-aware, skybot, spyware blaster/guard and windows defender.
I update them regularly and run them.
It odesn't seem to solve my problems. I have just rebooted my PC and iexplore.exe is no longer appearing and everything is fine - until the next time.
I clicked on the link suggested by Santos7 and it came up clean, although it's a bit scary how much information is picked up.

Stuartli 19:14 13 Jul 2006

See:

click here

click here

In the IE folder in Programs it is listed as IEXPLORE.EXE i.e. not in lower case.

SANTOS7 19:14 13 Jul 2006

It odesn't seem to solve my problems. What other probs do you have?.

SANTOS7 19:17 13 Jul 2006

in task manager it is actually listed as "explorer.exe" so the spy/malware theory gains momentum...

Stuartli 19:17 13 Jul 2006

Also:

click here

You could try a Repair of IE:

click here

MichaelF 19:42 13 Jul 2006

EXPLORER.exe (uppercase) is shown in Task master it uses about between 14500k and 25000k of memory but only evershows at about 2/3% of CPU
iexplorer.exe (lowercase) is also shown in Task master but with memory usage of 45000k. At the moment the CPU usage is zero.
I have done a search for iexplore and found 2 instances.
IEXPLORE.EXE - 2712234.pf in windows\prefetch
and
iexplore.exe in windows\servicepacks\i386
I am running internet explorer Version 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp.sp2
I will try and keep a check on when it starts to grab CPU and see what else is happening.

skidzy 19:47 13 Jul 2006

Have you run Ewido as suggested in my link click here it will find Malware etc others do not find,if it exists on your pc ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?