Problems with IE and Firefox

E. Smith 21:25 15 Aug 2008

My daughters computer developed a problem two days ago. IE starts but dispalys "the wesite cannot be found" for all websites including the Broadband router. There is a good internet connection with e-mail and msn working. If I ping a site such as BBC then I get a response.

I have installed Firefox from a disk and this also cannot see any website.

I am running Norton 360 and spyware doctor and neither has reported any problems

Any ideas?

woodchip 21:30 15 Aug 2008

Things that can stop them displaying, Firewall try turning it off. It may be the Windows Firewall, or it could be a web address in the Hosts file on your computer also check all settings in the Browser security. Teatimer part of Spybot Spyware remover may do it

octal 22:42 15 Aug 2008

Try rebooting the router.

Pepper9 23:05 15 Aug 2008

I am having the exact same problem - still trying to work out why.

Could it be a Java Runtime environment problem? When I check in my temporary internet files (Tools - Internet options - browsing history - settings) Java R E showsas being installed but with no size and with a yellow shield next to it.
I have tried to reinstall Java and it says it has successfully done so but the temp internet folder says no size still.

rdave13 23:19 15 Aug 2008

If you think it's a Java fault then it could be a firewall issue or corrupt Java. Try removing all Java SE in add/remove then reboot. Install latest; click here ; if no joy then it must be firewall settings.

E. Smith 00:12 16 Aug 2008

I will try removing Java RE tomorrow. I do not think it is a router problem as I have three other machines running on the LAN and they all accesss the internet through IE and Firefox with no problem.

rdave13 00:26 16 Aug 2008

Java RE and Java SE. Always used the standard edition. Don't know the difference as can't be bothered to find out as it's only a tool.
click here

Pepper9 10:28 16 Aug 2008

Have removed Java this morning and will try today to see what happens.

Pepper9 10:42 16 Aug 2008

rdave13
Tried your link to download Java but got an error message saying it couldn't find the right files.

E. Smith 11:20 16 Aug 2008

I removed Java SE and rebooted but the problem was still there.

I turned off the Win XP firewall and again the problem was still there.

I tried to get into Norton 360 and turn off that firewall but could not get access to Norton 360. I then tried to uninstall Norton 360 and was told that I could not as Norton 360 was updating. I tried again in an hour and got the same message. I disconnected all network and wireless internet connections and found I could uninstall Norton 360. Reboot and problem solved.

I have now installed Bullguard and I think I have finally had my fill of Norton products they are too complicated

Thanks for all the suggestions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?