Problems with Hotmail

Scrivers 21:18 20 Oct 2010

Is anyone else experiencing the problems that I'm having with Hotmail; I can sign in but when I try to open my in-box I get a blank page with faint horizontal lines on it similar to lined writing paper. I can't do anything with the blank page other than come out of Hotmail altogether. I've tried restoring my computer, which has a Windows 7, after which Hotmail behaved for a while. Now it's reverted to this strange behaviour. By calling up Hotmail via my browser, it works ok.
I use Advances System Care and CCleaner every time that I go on-line, but this hasn't caused a problem in the past. Anyone help?

Sea Urchin 21:35 20 Oct 2010

By calling up Hotmail via my browser, it works ok.

How else are you "calling up" Hotmail?

Scrivers 09:12 21 Oct 2010

Hi Sea Urchin
I have a shortcut on my desktop taking me straight to the sign-in. Now I'm finding that I don't even have to sign in, I'm signed in already and there seams to be no way of altering it.

Sea Urchin 09:27 21 Oct 2010

OK - the desktop shortcut takes you to the browser. When you are signed in to Hotmail at the top right of the Hotmail window under your name you will see "sign out" - click that and you will then be asked to sign in again next time. But don't click "Remember me" or "Remember my password" or you will be back in the same position.

Scrivers 09:38 21 Oct 2010

Thanks Sea Urchin. That works but I don't know why Hotmail has started behaving differently. It hasn't been necessary to sign out, just coming out of the browser completely has automatically signed me out. Also, I'm now finding that I don't have to put in my password, it's already there in the form of a row of asterisks and I can't find a way of reverting back.

Sea Urchin 10:13 21 Oct 2010

I assume you talking about when you use your desktop shortcut - you will need to remake the shortcut from the sign in page when you have signed out and then gone to hotmail.com

Scrivers 21:12 21 Oct 2010

I've switched to using the Windows Live entry to my hotmail account. Thought they were one and the same but Windows Live doesn't ask for a sign-in and the layout is completely different

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone