problems with hotmail

leylander60 11:09 08 Dec 2004

since installing SP2 on machine running XP home/IE6,i have had probs.with hotmail access that i never had before.i open it then it immediately freezes;i need to use ctrl/alt/delete to end 'non-responsive' programme and start again.i do this 2/3 times before the site responds normally.i get a symbol like a 'no-entry'sign along the bottom of the page,which seems linked to a website-'doubleclick.com' i have checked all settings/levels for security/privacy etc.i had no problems accessing other websites.
oddly enough,the above machine is being given to a family member and i have just taken possession of a new,higher-specs pc(again with XP home and IE 6 + SP2 already installed);the problem outlined above is there again on the new machine!
is this a specific IE6 problem? strange,as i never had it before.all my other sp2 problems were sorted. i found the following as a part of the 'referring' to MS(if i wanted to report it)-

'Error signatures'
szAppName:IEXPLORE.exe szAppVer:6.0.2900.2180 szModName: hungapp szModVer 0.0.0.0 offset:00000000

i would appreciate any advice'comments.i do not 'have to'use hotmail but,as i'm passing on the pc and have the problem again on the new one,would wish the issue resolved if possible.

Diodorus Siculus 13:17 08 Dec 2004

click here
Repair IE. Any help?

Zurdo 16:03 08 Dec 2004

If you have messenger then have a look here click here It may solve the problem. It's something to do with the hotmail upgrade to 250mb storage. Anyhow making sure messenger was started then left in the system tray cured this problem for me on one of my machines. Funnily enough another machine is not affected at all.

leylander60 16:55 08 Dec 2004

thx, zurdo,for directing me to that site.problem outlined there was exactly same as mine.interesting-msn messenger icon has kept appearing in system tray,despite my efforts to clear it and prevent from running at startupwas puzzled at that also.
ok-will do as suggested(or maybe just uninstall msn messenger 6.2 as i don't think i can find a 'downgrade') until a fix emerges. thx.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone