Problems with graphics cards on laptop

amw92 11:15 19 Dec 2014
Answered

I'm currently having trouble with my laptop. Here's a few things that are going wrong:

• cannot sleep or hibernate, buttons are grayed out
  • On device manager, display adapters I have Nvidia GeForce GT 640M, which appears to be installed correctly and also Intel (r) HD Graphics 3000 which has a yellow exclamation mark next to it (I've tried re-installing both of these loads of times using device manager and also Nvidia and Intel's driver updating softwares)
  • I cannot play games currently on my laptop, even online games it says I need a better graphics card.
    • It takes ages to reboot my laptop.

I'm not sure what set this all off, it may have been my laptop crashing during a windows update, after it reset the resolution was set to really low, I just changed it back.

If anyone has had this happen to them, or if they know what might be wrong t will be much appreciated, thank you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:01 19 Dec 2014

type

powercfg -Hibernate ON

in CMD prompt and see what error message comes up.

amw92 20:45 19 Dec 2014

Thanks for replying, it says an internal system component has disabled hibernation..

SparkyJack 09:31 20 Dec 2014
Answer

Back up off machine your files, then 'factory restore' This should correct any operating system error.

If this does not work,the indication could be a hardware failure,which in a laptop is not likely to be 'repaired'

Warranty or nsurance cover will replace the machine.

Or a note to Santa perhaps:-)

amw92 16:59 20 Dec 2014

Okay thanks, I'll have to try that over the next few days, I was hoping the answer would be simpler.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:08 20 Dec 2014

Try updating your graphics drivers click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone