Problems with Gmail and OE/Thunderbird

justjill 19:33 02 Apr 2008

Apologies for reposting but I didn't get any replies the first time.

I've just started using Thunderbird but have kept OE just to check that all my emails are getting through and they're not! I have POP3 enabled for my Gmail account and assumed I got all my messages in OE but now it seems that some are received by Outlook Express, some are received by Thunderbird and only a few are received by both. I haven't set up any spam filters and my settings seem to be okay. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? I was hoping to ditch OE for Thunderbird but if this continues I'll have to ditch both and use Gmail on the web. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jill

octal 19:43 02 Apr 2008

I'm not sure if I can help you much because you appear to be receiving some emails, the only thing I can think to check is to make sure the port is set to 995 and security settings are set to SSL for Googlemail.

justjill 19:48 02 Apr 2008

I've already checked the port settings for POP and SMTP and all's as it should be. That's what's so puzzling!

woodchip 20:11 02 Apr 2008

If you used Flock Browser, you can configure it to work with Web, G-Mail, And it also works with your Outlook Express click here

cocteau48 20:20 02 Apr 2008

I can confirm from experience ,just as octal says,in order to receive Googlemail in T'bird you must,under accounts/googlemail account/server settings/security settings....have the SSL button selected.
The port will change to 995 automatically when the SSL button is selected.

justjill 20:36 02 Apr 2008

SSL is definitely selected for both servers.

Flock looks interesting. I might give that a go if I have no joy with Thunderbird.

octal 21:20 02 Apr 2008

Flock is an Internet browser by the way, not an email client.

DieSse 22:17 02 Apr 2008

You will normally receive email with the client you use first to pick it up.

Unless you have changed a setting to leave mail on the server, the act of picking it up will also delete it from the server.

Using two different clients for collecting emails is IMO a sure-fire recipe for confusion.

justjill 06:52 03 Apr 2008

A non-techy friend just suggested the same thing and I think that's probably it - blindingly obvious, now that I think about it! Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?