Problems with games/Direct3D under XP

chrishillcoat 17:05 11 Feb 2003

Hi there,
After upgrading to XP Home last year, I got some games out of the closet (as it were) to play them again- such as Carmageddon 2, Total Annihilation, Need for Speed 3 etc. All of these games start to load (black screen) then I am dumped back into Windows without so much as an apology. I've checked Compatability Mode and so on, but that didn't seem to work.

On the advice of another poster, I ran dxdiag, which tells me that there is a problem with D3D7:

"D3D7 Test Result: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x887602eb (error code)"

I'm running an AMD K6-2 500MHz, 320MB RAM, GeForce 2Ti, SB Live! system.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Chris Hillcoat

chrishillcoat 16:00 12 Feb 2003

anyone? I tried several more games today, with no success. This could be really annoying if nonne of my games collection works!

Is there a way of running an older OS (98, say) without having to create a partition (only got one hard drive, and hardly any space on that)? For that matter, can I get Windows 98 from anywhere these days?

Thanks,
Chris

powerless 16:08 12 Feb 2003

WOW that error message is widespred and people dont like it.

Update your display drivers...

click here

chrishillcoat 16:17 12 Feb 2003

I've had 41.09 since mid-December. A couple of weeks ago (in a bid to get Counter-Strike to recognise my OpenGL mode) I reverted to 40.72, then re-upgraded to 41.09. I guess that must be what's shafted my system... how could I clear all traces of 40.72 from the computer?

Dxdiag reported a couple of 40.72 files still lurking around. The log (if you're interested ;-) ) is on my webserver: click here

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?