Problems formatting CD-RW discs

James-299039 14:23 10 May 2003

I have recently purchased some new Packard Bell CD-Rewritable discs, labelled 4x-10x Compatible. I purchased them from a reputable high street store.

I wish to use them for data storage and have tried to format them using the Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4.

I follow the steps listed until I reach the stage where a small box appears on screen saying, “Format in progress configuring disc. It will take approximately 50 to 90 minutes for processing.” The clock in the box commences but after just over two minutes the box disappears and a notice appears on the screen for no more than a fraction of a second saying something like, "Illegal...." "Access denied...." I have tried to format several times but each time this fleeting notice appears after about two minutes but it is too quick to read properly.

Up until now I have used BASF CD-RW discs 1x-4x. They usually take around 30 minutes to format for data use. My CD-Rewriter came installed with my Gateway computer nearly two and a half years ago. It is 8x 4x 32x.

Is my problem simply that I have the wrong type of CD-RW discs? If so I didn’t realise that not all discs were compatible with my Rewriter. I am afraid I don't know much about what goes on 'under the bonnet'.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and if the discs are the wrong time an indication of which discs would work in my Rewriter (the 1x 4x do as I said earlier) would be very helpful.

Many thanks.

spruce 16:41 10 May 2003

I had a few problems with CD-RW disks with Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4. It was taking hours to format and then the disks were not recognised.

I then used Nero Burning Rom 5. Worked fine. The RWs were formated in 1.30 minutes.

david4637 16:50 10 May 2003

I have problems erasing CDRW discs with my bundled S/W NTI 2000. Would it worth purchasing Nero S/W currently £14? Thanks David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?