Problems with fdisk

mackaycc 16:30 09 Nov 2003

Having reformatted a drive and attempting to fdisk, fdisk reports 3 drives present. Drive 1 is reported to be only 96 Mb so is too small to partition or set as the active partition. Drive 2 seems to be ok. There are only 2 Hard disks on the computer with drive 1 and 2 being on the C drive. How can I get drive 1 and 2 to merge into 1 drive so I can then set the active partition and install Windows?

MidgetMan 16:44 09 Nov 2003

look here click here

but having re-read your post

"Having reformatted a drive and attempting to fdisk, you fdisk first them format, what exactly are you trying to do??.
If you want to delete all partions on the the hdd then fdisk option 4 (delete all dos partions) then format,

still somewhat confused still as to what you are trying/want to do?

mackaycc 16:54 09 Nov 2003

Sorry, didn't mean it that way. It was fdisked before the format

R4 16:55 09 Nov 2003

I assume you have TWO physical hard drives, one of which is partitioned into two partitions.

If this is the case: Use Fdisk to Delete All the partitions on the partitioned drive (Option 3) and re-create a partition (or two) and make active then format.
(Option 1 then 2)

Option 4 of Fdisk will give you the partion information on the HD.

mackaycc 16:57 09 Nov 2003

There are two hard drives, neither of which is partitioned

dazzling (work) 18:47 09 Nov 2003

is there a chance that there could have been a hidden backup patition on the c: drive.to restore it to one partition do as suggested above and delete the partitions.remember you have to restart your computer for fdisk changes to be saved before you format.darren

mackaycc 19:49 09 Nov 2003

The problem is that you cannot delete the 1st drive as it is too small to be partitioned so fdisk won't allow me to delete it. I don't know where this drive came from but as it is so small, fdisk doesn't want to know about it. With it being set as drive 1 though it prevents me from setting an active partition.

DieSse 20:02 09 Nov 2003

Have you got a Zip drive by any chance?

mackaycc 20:34 09 Nov 2003

Yes, there is an internal zip drive.

DieSse 21:05 09 Nov 2003

That sounds like the 96Mb drive then!

DieSse 21:06 09 Nov 2003

When you run fdisk - make sure there's no disk in the Zip drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?