Problems with eTrust EZ Antivirus

J-518379 11:06 05 Jul 2006

I recently installed this and since then my internet does not connect. Although the installation appeared to be okay. I now get a notification that the eTrust EZ Antivirus is not activated.

Is this a reliable virus protection ?

Belatucadrus 12:08 05 Jul 2006

"Is this a reliable virus protection ?"

Yes, eTrust and its predecessor inoculateIT have been giving good AV cover to PCs for years.
As to what's wrong with your installation, difficult to say. Did you have Anti Virus prior to installing eTrust, if so what was it and has it been removed fully ?

J-518379 15:56 05 Jul 2006

Hard to answer right now, as I cannot currently use the net from the PC in question. I had virus protection, which ran out as I recall. So I thought we had none. There was also a firewall, which is noted as disabled since the installation.

Any suggestions about possible causes/solutions?

woodchip 16:01 05 Jul 2006

It may have it's own Firewall

woodchip 16:02 05 Jul 2006

That also may be blocking you getting on the net

Belatucadrus 16:08 05 Jul 2006

First thoughts would be to ensure that the original Anti Virus has been uninstalled. Although its updates have expired and it's effectively useless, the program will probably still be working in the background until removed and Anti Virus programs are notorious for clashing with each other. It may then be necessary to reinstall eTrust, but see how things go after you've cleared out the old package first.

woodchip 17:11 05 Jul 2006

Your best bet is remove all AV on your computer, and download and run Free Avast click here

woodchip 17:12 05 Jul 2006

you have to re-register every year but thats it. and it does automatic updates as soon as you switch on

J-518379 10:41 07 Jul 2006

The problem is as I can't get on the net, I can't download or re-install anything.

jimv7 10:55 07 Jul 2006

Try system restore to before you installed etrust, remove old anti virus and try again, creating a restore point before install.

J-518379 12:53 07 Jul 2006

How do I do a system restore ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?