problems with email as part of a Web hosting package

cheekycakes 14:35 04 Mar 2014

hiya.. This is my first post on here, so please forgive me if I have put this in the wrong place.

I signed up for a web hosting package as part of fatcow.com. Everything looked good - emails, web space etc.

That is until I started sending emails. When I sent them, they all end up in peoples' junk mail folders. I have no idea how to stop it.

Someone has said that our email is blocked with Spamhaus and others.. i have had a look but Im not that technical and dont really know how to get it stopped. The email address is [email protected]

Is there anyone on here who could possibly give me some very simple instructions on how to unblock myself and keep it unblocked? Im at a loss to know what to do and my partner cant communicate with her customers at present. I have tried talking to fatcow.com and they dont really seem to do very much.

Any help would be great, thank you. Dave

LastChip 01:10 06 Mar 2014

As far as I can see, your email is not blocked or black listed. In fact if it were, you wouldn't end up with email in peoples junk folders. It wouldn't arrive at all.

If you have an alternative email address, send a message to that containing only the subject test and the message test and then check to see where it ends up. On receipt, check the message source code and see if anywhere in the header section, it's been marked as spam and by who. If it arrives normally, then do the same using a typical messages known to have been a problem, using the same procedure. You're looking for the difference to identify where the problem is.

There are some issues with the way you have your company email setup, which could result in some servers rejecting email. While it's not mandatory, RFC 822, RFC 1123 and RFC 2821 standards require email servers to accept email from [email protected] and [email protected] If I were you, I'd set up both those email addresses and forward them to your normal address. That's a perfectly acceptable way of overcoming that issue.

Email can be a complex problem to resolve, but you need to find out why it's being marked as junk (spam).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?