Problems with Dual Boot

Lee12 04:14 20 Jan 2008

Hi, I have a Compaq Presario S5000NX running Win XP Home Edition. I partitioned my hard drive now I have and F drive to install Win2000 so that I can have a Dual Boot. When I installed the Win2000 disk a dialog screen appears stating ( This CD-ROM is an older version of the Windows than the one you are presently using)
I went into CMOS and set the boot sequence so that the computer would boot from the CD-ROM drive first. For some reason the computer will not boot from the cd-drive first, it just loads to WinXP.
So then I connected the Master IDE to the cd-drive and the secondary to the HDD, with one IDE ribbon cable. Still not booting to the cd-drive first; also tried resetting the jumpers on both drives.
Can anyone please help me out with this, so that I can have a Dual Boot?
Thanks

Quiller. 08:23 20 Jan 2008

You will need a boot loader to use two operating systems. But as windows has told you win 2000 is a downgrade and a windows boot loader from XP will not downgrade.

Search google for a free boot loader. You will then be able to put 2000 after XP.

The only other way, with a partitioned disk, is to format the first partition and load 2000. You could then load XP on the second part of the hard drive. Easy if you have a full XP disk.

Lee12 22:24 20 Jan 2008

thanks everyone I will try both options

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?