Problems connecting laptop via wireless .....

Conny 22:26 25 Feb 2008

Hope someone can help. I have tried reading other questions regarding connecting a laptop via a wireless connection but can't seem to find the answers I am looking for. Hope someone can help.
My desktop is hard wired to the internet. My daughter wants her laptop connected to the same modem only wireless. She has bought a Netgear WGR614v7 router. We followed the instructions by connecting it through my modem first but then got to a page which said it detected my ISP was 'static' and needed a block of numbers refering to the IP address and DIN server address etc. I phoned Virgin and was told it was not static it was dynamic and didn't need all this info. So starting again i got to the same stage and just kept hitting a brickwall because it said my modem was static. Where am I going wrong and how do I get round it please?

skidzy 22:36 25 Feb 2008
  MAJ 22:36 25 Feb 2008

Is this a Virgin Cable connection that you have? Which router are YOU using?

Conny 23:02 25 Feb 2008

Hi Maj, not technically minded so try to tell you what I understand. It is a Motorola SB5100 Series surfboard Cable modem which my desktop is running off at the moment. I want to keep this setup. My daughters router is a Netgear WGR614v7 router. We powered down the modem and connected it to the router with a lead that has 2 phone plug type connections. switched on the Motorola for 2 mins till it connected then switched on the Netgear till it connected. After going through the various prompts we got this screen which said it detected mymodem was a 'static ISP' and then asked for the ISP address, the DIN server address and about 3 or 4 other addresses. I contacted Virgin and was told it was dynamic not staic so I clicked on the 'Advanced user' setting and it brought up a login box. We typed in my original user name and password given to me when I first set up with Telewest many years ago but it came back with 'Access Denied your client has not given the correct information', or something of that ilk. We just don't know what to do next. I will start fresh again tomorrow but if you could give me some pointers it would be really helpful. Thanks for your help so far.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?